ILRI: International Livestock Research Institute
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa
- Ensure that all the fabrication, fittings, structural supports in plumbing and drainage works are done as per the laid down standards and protocol.
- Plan, and participate in coming up with specifications, interpretation of blueprints, construction, installation, commissioning, modification, maintenance, and repair of metallic fabrication and fixtures works.
- Prepare standard operating procedures for metallic fabrication and fixtures works to ensure proper care, usage and maintenance of mechanical, structural and framework facilities, equipment, and tools so as to continuously provide services, promote improvement of workplace safety and other conducive environmental practices.
- Prepare and present weekly job card reports, status, closure, and analysis setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate conclusions and recommendations for tasks under their charge.
- As delegated by the immediate supervisor coordinate with external service providers and contractors to ensure efficient and up to expected standard of service.
- Work with others to prepare the terms of reference and bills of quantities for various in-house and outsourced works.
- Carry out installation, operation, and maintenance of all the mechanical systems (plumbing, drainage, firefighting, sanitary fittings, and refrigeration equipment).
- Carry out mechanical/structural and framework fitting, welding, and refurbishment of metallic structures.
- Carry out service and repairs of manhole and wastewater facilities.
- Assist in carrying out operation of specialised plants, including boilers, incinerator, cremator, and effluent treatment plant, etc wherever a need arises.
- Carry out preventive maintenance and ensure procedures on mechanical/structural or framework features in plumbing, drainage, firefighting equipment, steam, fuel/gas equipment as well as other related systems and Equipment.
- Participate in the handling and transportation of related equipment wherever it is required in any section of the Institute.
- Assist in confirming specifications while the Institute is procuring of new equipment by providing technical specifications in fabrication, fitting and supports in plumbing, drainage, steam, and other activities in relevant areas of their work.
- Updating the stores department on the spares to restock and which ones are obsolete.
- Perform any other related duties as may be required.
- Diploma in Mechanical (Production option) with 1 year experience or Certificate in Mechanical (Production option) with high school certificate and 3 years of working experience
- Proof of multiskilled knowledge is an added advantage.
- Knowledge in reporting faults, execution, and resolution and closing of jobs through computer systems
- Team player and capable of working with minimum supervision
- Working knowledge of health, safety, environmental and security expectations.
- Innovative and creative in solving emerging challenges.
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com you saw this job posting.