Job Title : Assistant MEAL Officer
Reports To : MEAL Officer
Location : CRS Manila
Job Grade : 5
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) was founded in 1943 by the Catholic Bishops of the United States to serve World War II survivors in Europe. Since then, we have expanded in size to reach more than 120 million people in more than 100 countries on five continents.
Our mission is to assist impoverished and disadvantaged people overseas, working in the spirit of Catholic social teaching to promote the sacredness of human life and the dignity of the human person. Although our mission is rooted in the Catholic faith, our operations serve people based solely on need, regardless of their race, religion or ethnicity. Within the United States, CRS engages Catholics to live their faith in solidarity with the poor and suffering people of the world. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
CRS Philippines, established in 1945, is the longest running, continuous CRS country program in the world with extensive programming in peacebuilding, emergency response and recovery, and disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation. The Philippines country program has over 100 staff members in Manila, Davao, Cotabato City and Tacloban offices. CRS Philippines is committed to collaborate with our strong network of church partners, national and subnational government agencies and secular NGOs throughout the country, strategically advancing local leadership to achieve sustainable development goals in the Philippines.
Working in close coordination with the CRS MEAL Officer and other programming staff, and with implementing partners and community members, you will assist in operationalizing monitoring, evaluation accountability and learning (MEAL) systems in support of CRS’s work to serve the poor and vulnerable. You will help ensure that relevant data are collected, documented, managed, and made accessible to project stakeholders, as appropriate. You will support MEAL-related capacity building efforts for CRS and implementing partner staff, as needed.
• Support project MEAL activities, which, among others, include regular data collection at the field level as per relevant MEAL plans (e.g., through household surveys, focus group discussions, and interviews); data encoding and consolidation; and data quality checks.
• Help establish and monitor accountability mechanisms at the field level (e.g., community consultations, beneficiary feedback and response mechanisms).
• Provide guidance and technical support to CRS and implementing partner staff in the correct use of various data collection tools.
• Support the reporting of data required by monthly, quarterly, annual reports to donors and other project stakeholders, as required.
• Support the storage and management of documented data and MEAL assets, and ensure that such are made accessible to relevant project stakeholders, as necessary
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s Degree required.
• 1 year work experience related to the field of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL).
• Experience in conducting interviews, focus group discussions, and surveys is preferred.
• Experience in supporting community development and mobilization is preferred.
• Observation and active listening skills
• Proficiency in MS Excel
• Keen attention to detail and good analytical skills
• Highly organized
• Good interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with diverse groups
• Proactive, results-oriented and service-oriented
Required/Desired Foreign Language
Fluent in written and spoken Filipino and English
• 50% field travel
Key Working relationships
Supervisory : None
Internal : Deputy Program Manager for MEAL, Assistant MEAL Officer, MEAL Manager, Program Manager, and program staff
External : Partner MEAL officer and project staff, other local stakeholders (financing
institutions, Local Government Units, private institutions).
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Builds Relationships
• Continuous Improvement and Innovation
• Accountability and Stewardship
• Develops Talent
• Strategic Mindset
Level of competency required
MEAL in Design: Developing project-level Theories of change, results frameworks, Proframes, related MEAL system tools and competencies, and accompanying MEAL narratives. (Basic)
Monitoring: Implementing monitoring activities, including timely collection of quality data, set up and maintenance of databases, facilitation of participatory reflection on monitoring results, and submission of timely progress reports. (Knowledgably)
Evaluation: Supporting project and program evaluations and reviews by ensuring the quality of evaluation methods, tools, and data and facilitating the use of evaluation results to inform decision-making and enhance learning. ** (Basic)
Accountability: Improving our accountability to a range of stakeholders through increased participation, transparent communication, responsive feedback mechanisms, and adherence to internal and external quality standards and requirements. (Knowledgably)
Learning: Promoting excellent knowledge management and collaborative learning processes at the project, program and institutional levels, generating robust evidence for project and programmatic learning that leads to action, decision-making and influence. (Basic)
Analysis & Critical Thinking: Engaging with data, challenging biases and assumptions, posing thoughtful questions, pursuing deeper understanding of evidence through reflection and perspective-taking, and making informed programming decisions. (Basic)
ICT for MEAL: Applying knowledge on information and communication technologies (ICT), both hardware and software, for opportune and accurate data collection, database management, conducting analyses, and making information easily accessible. (Basic)
MEAL in Management: Managing financial and human resources in a way that optimizes the quality, effectiveness, and utility of MEAL systems. (Basic)
How to apply
Interested applicants must send their updated CV and application letter to [email protected]
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.