United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), Paris, France
As the only specialized organization with the mandate to support educational policy, planning and management, the UNESCO International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP) plays a unique role within the United Nations system. IIEP was established in 1963 as an integral part of UNESCO. It supports ministries of education and their partners around the world to plan and manage education systems through four types of capacity development programs: training, technical assistance, research and development, and knowledge sharing. The Institute launched its new Medium-Term Strategy (2022-2025) in November 2021. IIEP has offices in Paris, Dakar, and Buenos Aires. IIEP draws on voluntary contributions from core donors and project funding to achieve its goals and objectives.
Overview Of The Functions Of The Post
Under the overall authority of the Director of IIEP and the direct supervision of a Senior Education Analyst or Specialist, and within the framework of the Institute’s Medium-Term Strategy, the incumbents will support implementation of a variety of country facing technical cooperation projects in educational planning and management, and to contribute to analytical work, training programmes, and knowledge sharing activities. Candidates should have experience and/or knowledge in one or MORE of the following areas of expertise:
- Data management, analysis and the support of education management information systems (EMIS);
- Use of service delivery and learning data to drive programmatic reforms in the education sector and improve management practices;
- Design and management of integrated capacity development programs to support the planning and management of the education sector.
The incumbents will have the following duties and responsibilities:
Assist teams in supporting member states (MS) in the development, implementation, and monitoring of education and training sector analysis, plans, policies:
- Support the development of education and training, sub-sector, and thematic diagnoses and analysis.
- Support the development and implementation of education sector plans including operational plans, institutional capacity analysis, and monitoring and evaluation frameworks.
- Support the discussion with Ministries of Education (MoE) officials within the framework of educational policy tradeoffs and the development of national strategy documents (i.e., education policy documents, simulations models, education sector plan, action plans, etc.).
- Support the development of management and monitoring tools and the preparation of joint sector reviews or mid-term reviews.
Support implementation and management of capacity development programmes:
- Support the delivery of capacity development programmes (facilitation of face to face or remote training sessions, etc.) in educational planning and management.
- Devise modalities and milestones for assessment and for daily programme and financial management; preparing narrative and financial reporting. Draft terms of reference for consultants.
Assist in the management of IIEP’s country facing technical cooperation portfolio:
- Support project & related contract development and drafting, implementation, reporting and monitoring and evaluation.
Contribute to the production and dissemination of knowledge on education sector planning, analysis and the management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of education sector reforms:
- Contribute to the development of methodological guides and tools on education planning, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Contribute to the development, implementation and drafting of pieces of research on education and training analysis, planning, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Contribute to the update of IIEP’s website and interactive space for documentation and exchanges around education and training policies (digital bibliography, statistics, policy documents, etc.).
Assist in the development and implementation of training initiatives to support the professional development of education stakeholders, including officials in charge of education and training, in the areas of education planning and management:
- Support the development of training materials to meet various audience’ needs, based on different delivery modes (F2F, distance, hybrid).
- Support the implementation/facilitation, monitoring and evaluation of training activities.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in the field of statistics, educational planning and management, international development, social sciences, economics, or another related field.
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant professional experience in the fields of sector analysis, planning and management of education systems.
- Less than one (1) year for candidates with a PhD in the related filed.
- Experience and/or knowledge in one or more of the following: (a) Data management and analysis, including for example, the integration and use of household surveys, labour market surveys, learning assessment data, budget expenditure and tracking surveys, service delivery data, and data from EMIS systems (b) Use of service delivery and learning data to drive programmatic reforms in the education sector and improve management practices (c) Design and management of integrated capacity development programs to support the planning and management of the education sector.
- Experience in supporting the design and execution of complex country level capacity development programs in education planning and management.
- Knowledge of education systems in developing and emerging countries and the associated challenges they face.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent knowledge of statistical and econometric, psycho-metric, or other quantitative evidence techniques applicable to the Education sector.
- Ability to review and assess data and take remedial actions to support the production and use of quality and robust data.
- Good knowledge of education systems in developing and emerging countries and their associated challenges.
- Excellent analytical and synthetical skills.
- Excellent IT skills, including knowledge of statistical software such SPSS, SAS, STATA, R and spreadsheets (e.g., Excel, ACCES).
- Ability to support and work with diversified Teams ; Ability to communicate clearly and with precision both orally and in writing.
- Ability to undertake regular missions, especially in challenging environments.
- Excellent knowledge of English (oral and written) and a working knowledge of French.
23rd May, 2022
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.