PROSAFE is seeking to recruit a Big Data Project Intern for a six months period starting as soon as possible.
The offer of employment is for a full-time or part-time paid internship, to be discussed with the successful candidate.
Suitably qualified individuals are required to submit:
- Their CV in Europass format and
- A bespoke one-page cover letter in English adapted specifically to our organisation’ requirements, where you include your favourite famous quote with a motivation why it is so.
before 14 October 2021 (midnight Brussels time) to [email protected]
Please write in the email subject “<Name of the candidate> – Application Big data Project Intern”!
Applications are reviewed on a “first come, first serve” policy and interviews may be organised before the deadline; thus, we welcome swift applications.
PROSAFE is an international non-governmental organisation established in 1991 by market surveillance officers from countries throughout Europe. The main goal is to contribute to further enhancing market surveillance in Europe by organising Joint Actions and by developing and promoting best practices or developing tools that support the work of market surveillance officers. The Joint Actions we coordinate are (co)financed by the European Union.
The intern would be employed within the team responsible for the Concerted Action EEPLIANT3 which focusses on energy efficiency and ecodesign for the following product sectors: LED lights, ventilation units, air conditioning, tumble driers, space and water heaters. One of the work packages within this large programme aims to develop a suite of IT tools that can streamline the work of market surveillance more efficient, increase productivity and ready to cope with the challenges of e-commerce and digital supply chain.
One tool that leverages modern technology is a Web Indexing application that crawls the web in a methodical manner (e.g., metadata, images, structured data, other linked pages, etc.) to ingest, structure and analyse data relevant to assess compliance of products sold online with the requirements of the Energy Labelling Regulation. In summary, intelligent data gathering is expected to facilitate analysis and assessment of compliance, which will be an input to the decision-making process of Market Surveillance Authorities (MSAs) (examples of actions are issuing warnings to non-compliant webshops).
The Big Data Project Intern responsibilities:
- Provides input and ideas on how existing (Open Source and Commercial off-the-shelf) Web Indexing technologies could be used by MSAs;
- Reviews and provides input to the prioritisation of features and functionality;
- Tests and provides feedback on the Web Indexing technology (features and functionality) once this has been prototyped and released;
- Provides input and ideas for developing and then further updating a detailed project plan;
- Monitors the costs and schedule of the “Web Indexing/Crawler” project;
- Provides updates and reports on progress, changes in budget, scope and schedule to the Project Manager;
- Attend relevant coordination meetings and assist with informed opinions in the key discussion and debates regarding Web Indexing development and the related software development life cycle;
- Provides advice on the technical feasibility of potential features (Web Indexing development related), including rough order of magnitude opinion on costs and time to complete;
- Reviews and gives input to the Web Crawler/Indexer Project charter and contributes to the due deliverables.
Other general project tasks:
- Providing general support to all IT aspects of the Concerted Action;
- Proofreading and editing various project reports and project materials as regards the presentation of the work achieved;
- Create content for the organisations’ websites and further develop them (Joomla!);
- Monitor and follow-up on the work package activities of consortium partners and of stakeholders;
- Designing infographics and presentation materials to pitch the progress achieved to a non-specialist audience;
- Engaging and collaborating with project participants, membership, stakeholders and third parties;
- The ideal candidate will work under the direction of the Executive Director.
Experience: Preferably one year of office work, in the absence of this extracurricular activities can be presented.
Level of education:
- University degree of 3 or 4 years in science, IT, technology, engineering, or mathematics studies.
- Followed by a Master’s Degree of minimum 1 year in the above-mentioned disciplines.
The candidate should show commitment to the values, vision and mission of consumer safety NGOs and have interest the market surveillance of Energy Efficiency and Ecodesign and product safety issues.
Language skills: English level compared to a native speaker; excellent writing skills;
IT skills: excellent general IT literacy, robust programming and scripting for web and (data processing) infrastructure, and good command of user interface design (UX) for web are a must.
Specialist skills: Affinity with straightforward big data design patterns is a must, ability to potentially split monolithic software up in a service-oriented architecture is a pro. Knowledge of either AWS, Azure or GCP is required.
Other assets: Business analysis skills and familiarity with European Union funded projects are an asset.
- A willingness to “pitch in” where required. No job too big or small.
- Ability to handle pressure, and work within tight deadlines;
- Genuine team-player;
- Analytical mind with aptitude in math and ability to present technical information in simple terms;
- Positive and outgoing personality;
- A problem-solver with attention to detail and ability to spot errors;
- Well-organized, efficient and reliable;
- A can-do attitude, backed by speedy and accurate work;
- Assertive not abrasive.
Be eligible to work in Belgium.
We offer an interesting job in a dynamically growing organisation which brings together European market surveillance officers, consultants, as well as international stakeholders in a field that is of fundamental importance for the European Union. The working language is English.
The internship includes the possibility of long-term employment in the event of a successful internship.
Only successful candidates will be informed, thank you for your understanding.
This vacancy is part of the EEPLIANT3 project that has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 832558.
The content of this document represents the views of the author and it is his sole responsibility; it can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency (CINEA), the European Commission or any other body of the European Union, who are not responsible for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
Do not forget to mention that you found this job ad on the UNJOBVACANCIES Jobsite!
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.