HIAS seeks a Budget & Fiscal Compliance Officer, LAC to be responsible for the budgeting, planning, tracking and monitoring of funding, including grants for both the country offices and HQ departments.
- Manages reporting, compliance and recognition of international grants for assigned portfolio.
- Partners with accounting to prepare monthly grant budget-to-actual reports.
- Liaises with program and development staff to ensure restricted funds are used in accordance with donor intentions or appropriate modifications are requested.
- Helps ensure that fiscal requirements for grants and contracts are identified, realized and monitored through regular monitoring meetings.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly and year-end financial reports for funders.
- Maintains a working knowledge of laws, regulations, policy and other requirements that affect grants management, in particular federal grant requirements.
- Reviews coding of expenses against restricted grants to ensure adequate charging.
- Assists with the maintenance and analysis of staff allocations.
- Works with program managers to track and manage their budget and grant spending.
- Assists in the compilation and drafting of annual operating and capital budgets.
- Prepares and performs monthly budget-to-actual analysis and conducts quarterly forecast reviews with program managers. Communicates results of reviews and analyses to finance leadership.
- Helps compare programmatic planning with funding restrictions to provide realistic financial and budgetary outlook.
- Works with the country offices to compile the international piece of the budget.
- Helps ensure timeliness and accuracy of budgets.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Undergraduate degree with a concentration in Finance, Accounting, International Affairs, International Business, or a related field.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of work experience required; analysis and interpretation of budgets and grants preferred.
- Experience working with an international nonprofit preferred; experience working in or traveling to developing countries desirable.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to problem solve required; the ability to communicate financial information to non-financial staff is also required.
- Ability to effectively multi-task is required; also, must be detail oriented and able to see both the big picture, as well as the smallest details.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills required.
- Intermediate level or higher Microsoft Excel skills required.
- Intermediate level Spanish or higher preferred, but not required.
- Ability to travel to country offices preferred, but not required.
SAMPLE HIRING PROCESS:
We are committed to a fair and respectful hiring process, and we do our absolute best to respond to every applicant. We prioritize communication and transparency with all candidates, even those who are not moving forward. Here’s a snapshot of our hiring process:
Step 1: Submit your application!
Step 2: Phone screen with a HIAS recruiter.
Step 3: Video interview with the hiring manager.
Step 4: Video interview with a panel of HIAS employees.
Step 5: Online reference check with SkillSurvey.
Step 6: Offer and background check with Shield Screening.
Step 7: Start your professional journey with HIAS!
Note: Some of our hiring processes may vary, and not all candidates will advance to each step.
Over one hundred years ago, the Jewish community founded HIAS (originally the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society) in New York City, the immigrant gateway to America. Supporting Jews fleeing persecution and poverty in Eastern Europe, our founders were guided by the traditions, texts, and history of the Jewish people – a history of oppression, displacement, and diaspora. HIAS has since helped generations of Jews facing violence because of who they were, and HIAS remains committed to helping Jewish refugees anywhere in the world. Today, our clients at HIAS come from diverse faiths, ethnicities, and backgrounds, as do our staff. We bring our experience, history, and values to our work across five continents, ensuring that refugees today receive the vital services and opportunities they need to thrive.
HIAS is a learning community, committed to diversity and inclusion. We do our work with integrity, accountability, transparency, and a commitment to the highest ethical standards. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences to join our teams located in the United States and across the globe. People who identify as BIPOC, people with disabilities, people from the LGBTQ+ community, and people with lived experiences of forced displacement or immigration are all encouraged to apply. We are committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects our vision, mission, and values.
HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety, and opportunity.
Drawing on our Jewish values and history, HIAS provides vital services to refugees and asylum seekers around the world and advocates for their fundamental rights so they can rebuild their lives.
Welcome • Acogimiento • Hospitalité • Hachnasat Orchim
We Welcome the Stranger
Justice • Justicia • Justice • Tzedek
We Pursue Justice
Empathy • Empatía • Empathie • Chesed
We Approach our Clients with Empathy
Partnership • Compañerismo • Coopération • Chevruta
We Believe in Changing the World through Partnership
Courage • Coraje • Courage • Ometz
We Act with Courage to Build a Better World
Resilience • Resiliencia • Résilience • Ruach
We Adapt and Thrive, Continuously Demonstrating our Resilience
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, ancestry, citizenship status, religious creed, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, military status, protected veteran status, political orientation, or other legally protected status.
For questions, please contact Spencer Hirsch, Director, Talent Acquisition or Carolyn Hamburg, Talent Acquisition Associate.
How to apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and application to our website: https://hias.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=1694161&&&nohd#job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.