International Labour Organizations -ILO- (United Nations)
Call for Expression of Interest
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Development of National OSH Program, Action Plan, Notification Mechanism and Improvement of its Accidents Reporting and Recording Tools and Templates for Republic Iraq
Deadline for submission of proposals: 4 January 2022
The International Labour Organization, with support from the European Union, is implementing a project to enhance labour governance, inspection and working conditions in Iraq, in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The project addresses a number of labour market challenges imposed by the pandemic, as well as some of the longer-term decent work priorities of Iraq.
It focuses on strengthening the labour inspection system and improving occupational safety and health (OSH) in line with international labour standards, through policy development and capacity building. The project will also work closely with social partners to raise their awareness on labour inspection, OSH and fundamental principles and rights at work, so they can better engage in programs to promote compliance with labour legislations and respond to COVID-19.
Upon a request from ILO, an assessment of OSH for Republic Iraq including Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI)is currently being conducted by ILO in 2021 to provide an overview to the existing OSH situation of a country and is used as a diagnostic document to assess gaps in the national OSH system and identify priority areas for national action in OSH, which was followed by preparing a national OSH profile and policy to strengthen and effectively implement its national OSH systems. However, further development of national OSH profile and policy requires some more integral actions to be taken for instance; development of national OSH program, Action Plan, and establishment of a Notification Mechanism as well as Improvement of OSH related Accidents Reporting and Recording Tools and Templates.
As described above, the development of national OSH program, Action Plan, and establishment of a Notification Mechanism as well as Improvement of OSH related Accidents Reporting and Recording Tools and Templates must be based on a comprehensive consultation with the social partners on a tripartite basis with the participation of necessary experts.
This consultancy is going to be a consultative process that will serve to:
- Enforce the prevention of occupational accidents and diseases.
- Investigate the causes and implementation of control measures.
- Improve OSH and reducing work-related accidents, injuries and diseases through development of a time-framed action plan, with clear objectives and performance indicators.
- Strengthen the national OSH Centre and promoting its preventive services.
- SCOPE OF WORK
The consultant will:
- Develop a complete work plan that identifies key activities with stakeholders on the assignment.
- Consult with the social partners to meet the deliverables outlined in the ToRs.
- Review and consider the OSH assessments findings conducted under this project during 2021.
- Reviewing the existing notification mechanisms including accidents reporting templates and tools if exist.
- Facilitate the identification and collection of OSH data and information from reliable sources.
- Collaborate with the relevant stakeholders and social partners dealing with OSH component.
- Present to ILO technical unit and stakeholders the draft copies of the developed national OSH program and action plan, as well as improving OSH accidents reporting and updated recording tools and templates for republic iraq.
- Submit the final draft copies of the developed national Osh program and action plan, as well as improving OSH accidents reporting and updated recording tools and templates for republic iraq.
- Consult with the experts within the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (MoLSA) and National Center for Occupational Safety and Health in both the federal Iraq and KRI.
- A detailed work plan that identifies key activities covering start-up to conclusion with defined dates, lead partners, and resource requirements and mentions the sources of information and ways to collect data that are foreseen.
- A national OSH programme in consultation with the social partners developed in Arabic language.
- An action plan for strengthening the national OSH centre and promoting its preventive services, based on the assessment’s findings and recommendations developed in Arabic language.
- Draft of new reporting mechanisms for the notification, recording and investigation of occupational accidents, injuries, and diseases in consultation with the social partners and other stakeholders in Arabic language.
- Accidents reporting templates and tools drafted in Arabic language.
The number of working days for the assignment is 50 working days during the period from February to 30 May 2022.
- SCHEDULE OF PAYMENT AND PAYMENT TERMS
The consultant is expected to deliver the specific deliverables as set out in the below table, at the approval and satisfaction of the Chief Technical Advisor of the project and the Regional Senior Labour Inspection and OSH Specialist:
|Deliverable||Disbursement in USD|
|1. A detailed work plan.||20%|
a. A national OSH programme in consultation with the social partners developed in Arabic language.
b. An action plan for strengthening the national OSH centre and promoting its preventive services, based on the assessment’s findings and recommendations developed in Arabic language.
|c. Draft of new reporting mechanisms for the notification, recording and investigation of occupational accidents, injuries and diseases in consultation with the social partners and other stakeholders in Arabic language.
d. Accidents reporting templates and tools drafted in Arabic language.
- MANAGEMENT AND OTHER ARRANGEMENTS
Partners and Counterparts
The assignment will be conducted in close collaboration with the project team and ILO implementing partners in target areas.
- Advanced university degree in law, social sciences, health.
- Understanding of the OSH context and issues in Iraq.
- Understanding of ILO Conventions and Recommendations on OSH and Labour Inspection, and core international human rights instruments.
- Understanding of Iraq’s safety and health, social and labour laws and policies in Iraq. .
- Sound analytical and writing skills and proven ability to write concise, informative, and accurate reports in understandable terms.
- Fluent written and spoken English and excellent report writing skills. Excellent Arabic would be a strong asset.
- At least 10 years’ demonstrated experience in analysis and strategic planning.
- Demonstrated ability to design, organize and facilitate workshops, consultations, meetings, fora and focus group discussions.
- Ability to organize and manage stakeholders as a working group.
- Experience in drafting/preparing assessment reports and strategic plans.
- Experience in development of OSH program, actions plans, improvement of notification mechanism including reporting and recording tools and templates.
- Experience working with government, and workers’ and employers’ organizations is considered an asset.
- Experience working with the ILO or other UN agency, donor agency or international NGOs, is considered an asset.
Supervision and Logistical Arrangements
The consultant will perform his/her assignment under the supervision of Chief Technical Advisor of the project and the Regional Senior Labour Inspection and OSH Specialist.
Confidentiality and Intellectual Property Rights
All data and information received from ILO for this assignment are to be treated confidentially and are only to be used in connection with the execution of these Terms of References ToRs). The contents of written materials obtained and used in this assignment may not be disclosed to any third parties without the express advance written authorization of the ILO. All intellectual property rights arising from the execution of these ToRs are assigned to the International Labour Organization. The intellectual property rights of the materials modified through the assignment remains with the International Labour Organization.
Apply for this job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.