Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
The Center for Global Security Research (CGSR) was established at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) in 1996 to bring together experts from the science, technology, and policy communities to address pressing national security challenges. For over 20 years, CGSR has engaged diverse perspectives on topics important to national security, deterrence, diplomacy, dual-use technology, arms control, nonproliferation, space, cyber, climate, biosecurity, and energy security.
We have openings in Summer 2022 for undergraduate students to engage in practical research to further their educational goals. You may conduct research to support United States (U.S.) policy and decision makers in developing strategies for national and international security. Examples of relevant fields of research include engineering, computational sciences, physics, biology, chemistry, cyber security, area studies, political science, and international relations.
More information on CGSR, its research focus areas, and its publications can be found at https://cgsr.llnl.gov/
In this role you will
- Support the CGSR organization through contributions to ongoing research activities. Tasks may include contributing to literature reviews, annotated bibliographies, workshops and summary reports.
- Provide analysis to ongoing work, involving a moderate to high degree of technical and analytic complexity.
- Assist in the planning and execution of workshops to support CGSR research efforts.
- Gather and analyze data and information in support of broader CGSR research efforts.
- Conduct an independent research project on an agreed upon topic aligned with CGSR research priorities.
- Participate in research planning and evaluation discussions with other members of the CGSR staff.
- Attend relevant research seminars, speakers’ series, and workshops.
- Present research to LLNL staff at end of the assignment.
- Prepare end-of-assignment technical report or publication.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This job will be closed to applicants on December 17, 2021.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited university and actively pursuing an undergraduate degree in a field of research aligned with CGSR or LLNL analytic priorities.
- Demonstrated academic and/or professional achievement in a relevant field of research aligned with CGSR or LLNL analytic priorities.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Record of independent research and publication, or a strong proposal of research to be done while at CGSR and in future academic and professional settings.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Some positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement above). If you are selected and a clearance is required, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on unjobvacancies.com
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.