Scion Executive Search has been retained to conduct the search for the incoming Chief Financial Administrative Officer (CFAO) of Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains (PPRM), the 106-year-old nonprofit community support organization providing reproductive and sexual health care, education, and advocacy in Colorado, New Mexico, Southern Nevada, and Wyoming. An integral member of the executive management team and strategic alliance team, this on-site executive leadership opportunity, which has the possibility of being remote for candidates living in CO, NM, Southern NV, or WY, is available for immediate hire.
Financial leadership candidates who are ethical, compassionate, operate with an equity lens, and have a deep interest in creating and supporting systems that foster inclusivity and belonging will thrive in this role!
Planned Parenthood is the United States’ most trusted provider of reproductive health care. Since 1916, PPRM has been committed to delivering the highest quality reproductive and sexual health care; teaching medically accurate, age-appropriate sexuality education; and working diligently to protect the right to access safe, legal, abortion. Each year, more than 100,000 people visit PPRM’s twenty-one health centers throughout CO, NM, Southern NV, and WY. Additionally, PPRM provides virtual care visits for those who are unable to attend in-person appointments. To quote one loyal PPRM supporter and community member, Merle Chambers, “PPRM is not simply birth control and abortion care—it is a broad array of health care, and you do it well. I appreciate that PPRM is innovative and always looking for new ways to do things. You pay attention to the current environment and respond. So much of what you do matters to me, including the advocacy work. It is important to stand up and talk about it. You’re an educational organization—you don’t just provide health care, you talk about reproductive health care, you are present for it, and you listen to your community. PPRM is a broad, holistic organization. Supporting or providing reproductive health care shouldn’t be taboo.”
As the organization grows and evolves to best serve the community, PPRM seeks a collaborative, strategic, and highly experienced CFAO who can actively promote reproductive freedom and is willing to serve as PPRM’s spokesperson as needed. As political waters heat up again, the need for visionary, organized, data-driven, inclusive leadership to drive sustainability is crucial. Collaborating with the rest of the strategic alliance and leadership teams to assure the strategic positioning of PPRM and provide leadership in the development and implementation of PPRM’s strategic plans, initiatives, policies, and procedures is central to this role. PPRM’s incoming CFAO will provide strong financial stewardship; proactively offer accurate and comprehensive options to the CEO, board of directors, and other decision-makers; be adept at change management; and will support cross-functional teams in clarifying procedures and policies while strengthening inner- and inter-departmental communication. Ensuring that appropriate training and guidance are in place for department staff, supporting the work of PPRM-wide volunteers, building community partnerships, and both proposing and supporting Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) standards and guidelines are additional responsibilities the incoming CFAO will be comfortable managing. This position is a powerfully collaborative one and offers the opportunity to work closely with the finance, real estate, and investment committees, creating clear and accurate and easily understood metric-filled reports and presenting them to the board.
The inquisitive, open-minded, dedicated incoming CFAO is responsible for providing leadership to ten divisions and functions, including accounting, budgets, and financial reporting; payroll; audit; revenue cycle management/medical billing and collections; finance, banking, and investments; insurance; new business development; innovation initiatives; materials management/purchasing; and facilities and real estate and therefore must be detail-oriented, well-organized, and communicative. The CFAO will meet team members where they are, facilitate understanding, translate financial concepts to non-financial managers, be interested in building financial acumen, and show enthusiasm for making connections for staff among PPRM’s financials, operations, and programs. This opportunity provides a meaningful opportunity for a financial leader who is also “a people person” to have an immediate mission impact by being a transparent and confident nonprofit leader who is eager to mentor and coach others and who demonstrates respect for all.
Because of the nuances and intricacies of nonprofit finance and accounting, previous experience working in nonprofit finance or as an auditor working closely with nonprofit organizations in a heavily regulated environment whose annual operating budgets exceed $20M is highly preferred. PPRM is perpetually fundraising and has diversified funding streams, including grants and managing endowments, so this is a great opportunity for a leader bringing familiarity with GAAP and the inner workings of nonprofit finance, accounting, and operations. A willingness to make site visits—not only to Denver, but to smaller, remote locations—to engage with staff and discover their pain points will serve the incoming CFAO well, as will a readiness to listen to all stakeholders. Having a customer service mindset steeped in community good will go a long way. The percentage of time traveling would be low: only 10-20% of the time, with three or four visits per year to sites after the first year and attendance at all regional board meetings.
PPRM seeks a true thought partner to the CEO who is driven by the mission of the organization as well as its lasting impact. This incoming CFAO will be a master of turning vision into action and will be transparent, open, and inclusive in that effort.
- Act as a business partner to the CEO to guide and build value in PPRM.
- Engage in the development and implementation of PPRM’s strategic plans and initiatives.
- Fully participate in strategic alliance meetings and leadership team meetings.
- Partner closely with the board, preparing presentations to board committees, task forces, and full board as required.
- Working with the board treasurer, provide leadership to the board’s finance committee, including coordination of the monthly meeting, review of PPRM’s annual budget, and monthly financial reporting.
- Working with the board’s audit committee, coordinate the annual audit process with PPRM’s audit firm, ensuring the maintenance of proper financial controls and compliance with GAAP standards.
- Working with the board’s investment committee and outside investment management company, ensure the proper oversight and investment of PPRM’s long-term investment account in accordance with PPRM’s board-approved investment policy.
- Ensure the proper accounting, budgeting, and financial compliance of PPRM’s separate c4 organization.
- Ensure a high level of RCM services and billing strategies
- Continually work to optimize and leverage PPRM’s assets to maximize value within acceptable risk levels, ensuring that controls are in place to protect said assets.
- Working with leadership in human resources, provide strategic financial input on decision-making issues affecting employee benefits, retirement plans, and compensation.
- Working with PPRM’s legal counsel and controller, oversee and coordinate PPRM’s insurance needs and coverages.
- Analyze and improve PPRM’s strategic and operating business model.
- Direct the development, preparation, and approval of PPRM’s annual budgets.
- Conduct analysis, build tools, and provide leadership to improve productivity and financial accountability at all levels throughout PPRM.
- Provide superb management and leadership for assigned functions, including hiring, training, supervision, performance management, and review.
- Ensure orientation, training, and evaluation of CFAO’s departmental staff.
- Ensure correct preparation of, supervise the implementation of, and be responsible for CFAO’s departmental budgets.
- Have a complete understanding of contracts and grants with appropriate agencies, vendors, and grantors.
- Be aware of state and national activities related to CFAO’s departments and participate as needed or as assigned by PPRM’s CEO.
- Keep PPRM’s CEO fully informed about significant positive and/or adverse events within the CFAO’s area of responsibility.
- Represent PPRM and its policies to the community, speaking publicly as needed.
- Perform all responsibilities as requested by the CEO.
- Participate in abortion services (participation can include referrals, information, education, counseling, performing, scheduling, etc.).
- Ten years of business experience, including five years of demonstrated leadership and senior management experience in related health care and/or business operations.
- BS/BA in a business or related field; MBA and/or CPA a plus.
- Strategic thinking skills, excellent analytic abilities, and exceptional judgment.
- Competence in demonstrating team leadership with strong team development, leadership, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, as well as set and achieve short- and long-term goals.
- Demonstrated experience and excellent skills in:
- Written and verbal communication.
- Customer Service mindset
- Management and administration.
- Personnel management, including the supervision of senior-level employees.
- Budget development and oversight capabilities.
- Creation of appropriate measurements and metrics to ensure productivity.
- Computer usage.
- Financial reporting to non-financial managers.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends, and travel as required.
- Strong advocacy for reproductive freedom and capacity to be a spokesperson as delegated.
- Powerful commitment to PPRM’s mission of sexual health services, education, and advocacy.
- Capacity to perform job-specific responsibilities.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
This extraordinary, full-time opportunity offers the ability to make a transformative impact on the lives of individuals and families throughout the region and beyond. In addition to a strong base salary of $200,000 – $220,000 (DOE), PPRM’s incoming CFAO will also receive a comprehensive benefits package which includes employee medical insurance administered by United Healthcare (UHC), prescription benefits with Express Scripts (ESI), dental insurance administered by Delta Dental, vision insurance administered by EyeMed, life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance administered by MetLife, long-term disability insurance administered by MetLife, , up to 300 hours of PSL, up to 20 days of paid time off, 7 annual paid holidays in addition to 2-4 floating holidays, 4 paid wellness days, up to 3 days of bereavement pay, domestic violence leave, jury duty, time off to vote, military leave, family and medical leave (FMLA), 8 weeks of paid parental leave (PPL) every 12 months after 12 months of full-time employment with PPRM, FSA administered by Rocky Mountain Reserve, EAP administered by Mines and Associates, 401(k) administered by Empower, and access to subsidized professional training classes, wellness activities, and interest-free employee loans!
APPLICATIONS AND NOMINATIONS:
Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains (PPRM) has retained the services of Scion Executive Search, a national executive search firm specializing in mission-driven nonprofit organization recruitment, to assist in conducting this important search. For immediate consideration please apply with your resume and cover letter, formatted in Microsoft Word, via: https://www.scionstaffing.com/job/8827
Please address applications to:
Joanne MacGregor, Executive Search Principal
Scion Executive Search
(888) 487-8850 ext 134
Review of applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin immediately and continue on a confidential basis until an appointment is made.
Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains (PPRM) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity and equity in all facets of the organization’s work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other protected class.
ABOUT OUR FIRM:
Scion Executive Search is a national award-winning executive search firm. Since 2006, we have had the privilege of successfully placing hundreds of exceptional leaders within leading corporations, brands, and startups around the world. Our track record and recruitment process have made us a leading executive recruitment firm.
Named an Inc. 5000 Top Fastest-Growing Private Company in America, we are proud to also be part of the Forbes lists of the Best Recruitment Firms and the Best Executive Search Firm in America, recognized as a ClearlyRated Best of Staffing firm, and identified as a top recruitment firm by The Business Times. Additional information about Scion Executive Search can be found online.
Scion Executive Search, a division of Scion Staffing, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and service provider and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation or belief, or any other protected class. We are committed to the principles of Equal Opportunity Employment and are dedicated to employment decisions based on merit and value for ourselves, our client companies, and the candidates we represent. We engage in socially conscious business practices and believe that diverse, equitable, inclusive, and non-biased talent and recruitment processes are foundational to the success of Scion and every organization with whom we partner.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.