Save the Children International has an exciting opportunity for you to join our team as the Child Protection Advisor at RomaniaSave the Children International office location.
Following the escalation of the conflict in Ukraine, more than 650,000 people fled to Romania. SCI sent in an initial response team to assess needs of children and their families in Romania and is scaling up programmatic response with its main partner Save the Children Romania (Salvati Copiii) which has been working with asylum seekers and children for over 30 years and has a strong network with local civil society organization and national authorities. The program includes operating safe space for children and mothers in reception and asylum centres, provision of NFI and key information at border crossing points, mental health and psychosocial support and prevention of trafficking and GBV, support integration of children in formal and informal education system, supporting child protection system when required, providing legal and other counselling support to families in need. SCI intends to implement a cash and voucher programme in Ukraine and neighbouring countries through the Universal Cash Assistance Network (UCAN) project targeting people on the move and settling in Romania.
The overall aim of the Child Protection Adviser will be to assess, design and support quality implementation of child protection projects, while building the capacity of the response team, staff and volunteers and coordinate with international humanitarian organisations and national and local authorities. The post holder is responsible for ensuring program quality in line with international standards and best practice.a range of Save the Children’s emergency responses world-wide.
The post holder will be expected, with limited support, to lead on sectoral assessment, programme design, coordination, capacity building, coordination and representation, and support fundraising and relevant recruitment.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Significant management or advisor level Child Protection experience working in emergency contexts or fragile states
- Previous first phase emergency response experience is essential
- Education to MSc/MA/MEng level in Social Work, Human rights Law, International Relations, Development Studies or similar, or equivalent field experience.
- Ability to identify the main gaps in child protection in the given context to inform a holistic response for children.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in using established inter-agency standards and guidelines in child protection, such as the Inter-Agency Guidelines on Separated and Unaccompanied Children, the Paris Principles, MRM, SC Child Friendly Spaces Handbook, and the Minimum Standards for Child Protection in Humanitarian Action.
- Previous experience of managing a team and of project management
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Experience in monitoring and evaluating child protection programmes in emergency, transition and development contexts
- Experience in capacity building and in strengthening various duty bearers understanding of and response to child protection.
- Experience of representation and ability to represent SC effectively in external forums.
- Experience of working with and supporting local partners
- Experience of preparing successful funding proposals for donors
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to and understanding of child rights, the aims and principles of SC, and humanitarian standards such as the Sphere Charter and the Code of Conduct. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
- Good working knowledge of the Inter-Agency Child Protection Information Management System
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts
- Experience of designing and managing projects funded by institutional donors
- Experience of working in interagency projects.
This role will be based in Romania Save the Children International Regional or Country office location on approval, provided the successful candidate has proof of eligibility to work from the preferred location.
Where we Work – Where We Work | Save the Children International
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers/apply
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Save the Children does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in on the application form/in your cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.