Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes the peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and Brussels, Belgium, Search’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict – away from destructive approaches towards cooperative solutions. With more than 600 staff worldwide, Search implements projects in more than 30 countries across the globe.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Consultant – Early Warning and Early Response (EWER) and Transformative Dialogue Training
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full Time
Purpose of the Consultancy
- The purpose of the consultancy is to develop early warning and early response (EWER) and transformative dialogue training modules and to facilitate training of trainers for project partners in Maiduguri.
- Search is looking at engaging a training institute with strong expertise in capacity building within the field of conflict, peacebuilding and social cohesion to work with Search’s RESILAC project team to design training content, modules/materials that will serve the need of the target participants.
About the Project
- The overall objective of the RESILAC project is to contribute to the economic recovery and to the strengthening of the resilience and the social cohesion of the territories of the Lake Chad basin most impacted by the Lake Chad crisis and the climate change. The specific objectives of the project are:
- Strengthening human capital, social cohesion and collective and sustainable management of natural resources in targeted territories;
- Promoting economic recovery in targeted areas and the resilience of the most vulnerable populations, especially young people and women, through access to employment and agro-sylvo-pastoral production systems intensified and adapted to climate change;
- Valuing and consolidating the actors of the targeted territories by encouraging dialogue and commitment, and reinforcing their capacities according to the skills and roles of each one; and Producing useful knowledge for the quality of project activities in a crisis context and for decision-making by local actors.
- Search for Common Ground (Search) is responsible for implementation of objective 1 in Borno State, in partnership with Action Against Hunger and Neem Foundation.
- This will contribute to the creation of the conditions for a broad alliance in these territories by recreating social links between and within the communities most affected by the crisis and by helping victims of violence overcome their traumas and to resume trust. Collective and participatory activities will make it possible to offer means of analysis and shared actions to peacefully manage conflict, access and use of limited natural resources.
- The Consultant will follow a methodology and training curriculum agreed upon with Search prior to implementation of the trainings. The facilitators will be expected to utilize a mixed approach of facilitating training that is participatory and engaging to ensure active participation and increase learning outcome.
- The training will engage about 30 participants, targeting the project partners from civil society organizations (CSOs) and community based organizations (CBOs) from the target LGAs of the project. Search’s RESILAC team will provide support to the consultant to prepare and implement trainings.
- Develop a comprehensive training module that will provide an effective guide to reinforce learning outcomes and serve as reference material for the participants.
- Facilitation of five days early warning and early response training of trainers for civil society and community-based organizations in Maiduguri.
- Facilitation of five days transformative dialogues training for civil society and community-based organizations in Maiduguri.
- Design detailed training agenda and curriculum for trainings to be reviewed and approved by the RESILAC Project Manager and Capacity Building and Training Specialist
- Produce Pre- and post-tests for the trainings based on training curriculum
- Develop appropriate training aids as necessary (ex: case studies, presentations in Power-point, handout and any relevant document(s)
- A detailed report for each of the training sessions conducted sharing highlights, successes, pictures, and feedback for improvement of future programming.
- Reporting Line
- The Consultant will work under the direct supervision of Search’s RESILAC Project Manager and with support from the RESILAC Senior Community Mobilization Officers.
- The facilitators must possess at least Masters’s or post-graduate in Conflict Studies, Peace Building, Development Studies or other relevant fields.
- The consulting institute must be specialized in facilitating trainings in the field of Conflict, peacebuilding and social cohesion with a track record of successes.
- The institute must be registered with the appropriate authority and possess a minimum of 5 years of experience in training within the aforementioned field.
Other Relevant Requirements:
- The consultant must be familiar with the context of Northeast Nigeria with focus on conflict dynamics of the Lake Chad region.
- Must be resident in Maiduguri or able and willing to travel to Maiduguri
- Excellent facilitation skills and high capacity to engage participants
- Ability to create a safe space for participants of diverse backgrounds
- Excellent written communication and report writing skills in English
- Basic IT and typing skills
- Fluency in Hausa and/or Kanuri and knowledge of other languages indigenous to Northeastern Nigeria will be an added advantage.
- Motivation and self-discipline to work without supervision.
Budget and Terms of Engagement
- The consultancy will begin November 22, 2021. The first training should commence by November 29, 2021. All training reports should be completed no later than December 15, 2021.
- The entire consultancy will cover a period of 15 working days (5 day for each training, 3 days for development of training material and 2 days for report writing).
- 5% withholding tax will be deducted at source from the total cost of the consultancy fee
- All logistics arrangement should be included in the proposed budget
The consultant is required to respect the following Ethical Principles:
- Comprehensive and systematic inquiry: Consultant should make the most of the existing information and full range of stakeholders available at the time of the review. Consultant should conduct systematic, data-based inquiries. He or she should communicate his or her methods and approaches accurately and in sufficient detail to allow others to understand, interpret and critique his or her work. He or she should make clear the limitations of the review and its results.
- Competence: Consultant should possess the abilities and skills and experience appropriate to undertake the tasks proposed and should practice within the limits of his or her professional training and competence.
- Honesty and integrity: Consultant should be transparent with the contractor/constituent about: any conflict of interest, any change made in the negotiated project plan and the reasons why those changes were made, any risk that certain procedures or activities produce misleading review information.
- Respect for people: Consultant respect the security, dignity and self-worth of respondents, program participants. Consultant has the responsibility to be sensitive to and respect differences amongst participants in culture, religion, gender, disability, age and ethnicity.
- In addition, the consultant will respect SFCG’s evaluations standards, to be found in SFCG’s evaluation guidelines: https://www.sfcg.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/SFCG-External-Evaluation-Guidelines-FINAL.pdf
Application Closing Date
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Interested candidates should send the following to our Career Portal:
- 1 technical offer detailing the methodology of the training and providing a detailed agenda, in English (max 4 pages);
- 2 examples of past trainings where facilitators were the lead trainers;
- 1 financial offer detailing the costs of the services;
- 2 references of organizations who can verify the quality of the consultant’s work.
- Two sample of training reports authored by the Consultant.
- Certificate of Incorporation/Business Registration Certificate.
- Resume of the trainers.
- Tax income certificate.
- Submitted offers will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and selection made according to the following criteria:
- Financial offer will be awarded based on the lowest cost basis but with following criteria: (i) Cost proposal submitted cites specific rates by each major items; and (ii) Relevance and consistency with technical proposal.
- Excellent experience with both the content/subject-matter area of what she or he will be training.
- Consultant’s availability and ability to conduct the training on time.
- Please note that the system only has the functionality to upload two documents per application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
- Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please
- All Search Employees must adhere to the values: Collaboration- Audacity – Tenacity – Empathy – Results. In accordance with these values, Search enforces compliance with the Code of Conduct and related policies on Anti Workplace Harassment, Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Conflict of Interest and Anti-fraud. Search is committed to safeguarding the interests, rights, and well-being of children, youth and vulnerable adults with whom it is in contact and to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for children, youth, and vulnerable adults.
- Search for Common Ground does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.