The Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden has been recognized as one of the most beautiful display gardens in America. The Arboretum has 17 major gardens, 29 smaller ones, and 2 signature gardens throughout its 66 acres. These are A Tasteful Place, a fruit, herb and vegetable teaching garden and The Rory Meyers Children’s Adventure Garden, an 8-acre outdoor science museum teaching life and earth science principles in an engaging way. Previously rated as the number one visitor destination in Dallas by Trip Advisor. It is known for five seasonal color change outs, enabling the garden to have year round color. The garden has a budget of $30 million, average visitation of over a million guests a year and a membership base of over 45,000.
Apply the principles of accounting for appropriate controls and accounting processes. Work closely with the various Directors for departmental financial reconciliation and general ledger needs. Cross train with the Director of Accounting for effective Accounting Department coverage. Directs assigned staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Responsible for researching and proposing technical accounting treatments and drafting/maintaining standard operating procedures
- Ensure general ledger and donor database reconciliations are completed according to established timelines and procedures.
- Manage system and personnel processes and procedures to ensure the most efficient workflow while maintaining accounting controls.
- Oversee processes of recording and recognizing earned revenues from multiple sources of deferred revenues ensuring deferred revenues are recorded accurately and within the period earned.
- Ensure pledges and accounts receivables are current, reported on regularly, and past due items escalated
- Oversee the preparation of daily reports on sales and contribution revenue.
- Perform Adhoc financial reporting as requested by senior management.
- Ensure that temporarily restricted net assets are released to unrestricted net assets according to the Arboretum’s accounting policies
- Oversee the monthly issuance of department financials and forecasting reports in accordance with monthly close and reporting schedules
- Prepare the monthly financial reports and variance explanations issued to the Finance and Administration committee
- Meet with the department heads to discuss variances, forecasts, and budgets.
- Oversee the annual auprocesses 990 process for the Arboretum and the Dallas Arboretum Foundation.
- On a regular and continuous basis, exercise administrative judgment and effective decision making skills for controls and quality of service within the functional area of responsibility. Elevate issues to Chief Financial Officer as needed, in a timely manner.
- Train, evaluate and effectively manage/schedule personnel; complete required personnel documentation in a timely manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, or related field; CPA or MBA preferred
- Four years progressively responsible related experience in industry, preferably in a non-profit environment; five to seven years management experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Word, and the use of financial software applications: Financial Edge, Raiser’s Edge or Counterpoint a plus.
- High level of integrity, detailed oriented and committed to accuracy.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to sit for extended periods and perform data maintenance and analysis
- Ability to work flexible hours, including nights and evenings
- Driver’s license to drive carts
- Highly organized with ability to multitask successfully
- Good judgment and problem solving skills
- Flexible, diplomatic, responsive and self-motivated
- Tenacious and results oriented.
Dallas Arboretum is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. Dallas Arboretum does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Dallas Arboretum and Botanic Garden complies with all applicable equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction in which it operates.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.