Role & Responsibilities
Oversee all programme and support activities in-country. Representing Medair in all issues relating to the country programme, the Country Director plays a key role in donor relations and grant management, external representation, legal compliance, they manage the country strategy, project implementation and evaluation in conjunction with senior field managers.
The purpose of Medair’s multi-sector relief programme in South Sudan is to save lives and alleviate human suffering by working in fixed and emergency response locations, with vulnerable populations and providing essential life-saving health, nutrition, WASH, NFI/ES and mental health and psychosocial services.
Workplace & Working Conditions
This position is based Juba, South Sudan with frequent travel to field locations.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
September 2022. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Leadership and Management
- To Implement the country strategy; design, review and evaluate in collaboration with senior field managers and GSO staffs. Consider the political and security context, community needs, donor criteria and strategies and possible exit strategies in order to facilitate the long-term planning and development of projects.
- Ensure the implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the planned activities in accordance with the project proposals and logical frameworks and institutional donor policies and guidelines.
- Manage the overall programme and support functions related to reviews, management structures, the development and maintenance of operational procedures for individual projects and support functions.
- Analyse humanitarian needs, trends and political developments in the country of operation and the surrounding region in order to anticipate new projects and initiatives, ensure needs driven, life-saving focus. Ensure that the project proposals, project implementation and project reporting are of high quality that meet and exceed donor expectations and relevant national and international standards.
- Maintain strong relationships with donors so that Medair is a partner of choice.
- Ensure that activities and support functions comply with the national and international laws and regulations.
- Oversee programme implementations in consultation with the relevant senior field manager of the programme. Ensure objectives are met on time and within the budgets while preventing corrective actions.
- Ensure good communications with all country teams implementing and supporting the programme plans.
- Ensure that the structures are in place to support managers to comply with operational systems, donor requirements while meeting the country programme strategy. Development of activity plans & resource analysis.
- Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines, as appropriate and with the relevant field manager and GSO staffs through standardised procedures and improvement supports.
- Represent Medair at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, donors, UN and other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, field managers and GSO.
- Supervise the budget management and expenditures, in collaboration with the finance manager, the project. coordinator, manager and GSO staffs, ensuring budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations. Ensure the management of spending within the programme is in-line with the approved budgets.
- Ensure sufficient and appropriate controls are in place to prevent fraud and that relevant staff receive the required information and training to minimise the risk of occurrence within the country programme.
- Overall responsibility for the safety and security of Medair staff and assets.
- Oversee the updating and implementation of country location security plans, guidelines and manuals.
- Ensure appropriate security procedures and awareness are maintained throughout the country programme.
- Leading decision makings and contingency plans. Chair the local Crisis Management Team if/when required.
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development.
- Hold regular team meetings and through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Ensure effective HR functions of all national and international staffs and refer issues to the appropriate HR lead. Ensure compliance and safeguarding policies and practices are in place in all locations.
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair while providing good leadership, support and appropriate communication.
- Review, develop and implement systems to detect and improve transparency in order to prevent loss or fraud. Ensure that the country programme are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair and stakeholder international standards and others.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in Management; Development Studies; Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Desired Post-graduate degree in the humanitarian sector; Security management and/or Leadership training.
- Excellent working knowledge of English and French (speaking and writing). Arabic will be an advantage.
- 5 years post-qualification experience in a management position and 3 years in complex humanitarian emergencies.
- 1-year experience in managing projects in insecure working environments.
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials. Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials such as Sphere and CHS. Strategic thinker, change oriented, advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Advanced leadership and management skills and ability to build trust and enforce procedures.
- Experience and willingness in training and mentoring staffs. Team player with good interpersonal skills.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.