In response to the Syria crisis, Lebanon continues to host an estimated 1.5 million Syrian refugees in addition to approximately 270,000 Palestine refugees – making it the country with the highest per capita ratio of refugees in the world. In the past 2 years Lebanon has additionally suffered multiple crises and shocks, compounding an already challenging situation. An unprecedented economic meltdown, the Covid-19 pandemic, the Beirut explosion of 4th August 2020 and political paralysis have all combined to create a desperate situation for the Lebanese population, as well as for the refugees hosted in country.
NRC has been working in Lebanon since 2007, and in 2021 the projected budget exceeds 35 million USD. More than 350 full time staff work with NRC Lebanon. In 2020, NRC’s programmes in Lebanon reached more than 300,000 refugee and host community beneficiaries. Currently the Lebanon country programme implements Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA), Shelter, WASH, Education, and Youth projects for Syrian refugees. In addition, NRC implements community support projects in communities hosting refugees and is scaling up support to vulnerable Lebanese given the drastically increased needs. NRC also supports Palestinian refugees in Lebanon with ICLA, education and shelter.
The Country Director leads the Country Management Group (CMG) in NRC Lebanon and is a member of the Regional Senior Management Team under the leadership of the Middle East Regional Director.
Our Ideal Candidate:
For this key role our ideal candidate will be a University with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in a senior management/country director role in a humanitarian context.
We are particularly looking for and individual with current knowledge of the context in Lebanon and the Syria Crisis. Language skills in French and Arabic are also highly desirable.
They are an experienced advocate with exceptional people skills. They are a strong leader with proven ability to influence, empower and build trust with both internal and external stakeholders.
Role and Responsibilities
The Country Director is overall responsible for:
- National representation and coordination
- Development and execution of country strategy
- All in-country activities, personnel and the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Safety and security of all staff
- Country level advocacy
- Resource allocation and mobilization
- Cost efficiency and quality, including implementation of control mechanisms
- Adequate country structures and systems
- Learning, training and development of all staff, including a strategy for national staff development
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
They are specifically responsible to:
- Continue consolidation of strong Area-based approaches including the growth and development of the Beirut Area Office, established in 2020
- Ensure the country office is well placed with contingency and mitigation planning to respond to sudden shocks and emergency scenarios as well as having the strategic vision and operational capacity to implement multi-year, multi-donor programming
- Reinforce and further strengthening internal systems and coordination between Area offices
- Continue to play a leading role as courageous spokespersons and engines of evidence-based advocacy
We invite applications from all qualified and interested candidates. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline. For further details, please view the full job description here.
Duty Station: Beirut Lebanon
Reports to: Regional Director, NRC Middle East
Duration: 2 years
Travel: Up to 20%
How to apply
To apply please visit nrc.no/careers or use the link here.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.