Carleton University’s Department of Information Technology Services is searching for a Database Administrator (DBA) to augment the Technical Services team for performing Operational and Project functions for the various database infrastructure of Enterprise Applications.
This is a full-time, continuing position. The total compensation package includes competitive extended health and dental benefits, annual and sick leave, life insurance, and unique perks such as tuition benefits and access to the fitness facilities at Carleton.
The successful candidate will have a broad knowledge of Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL and PostgreSQL databases and tuning the databases and queries running on these servers plus some experience with support of Windows and Linux servers and applications. The DBA should be quick to grasp concepts, explore the depth of an issue, and persist in understanding the root cause identified issues. The role requires a quick learner with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills due to continual interaction with managers, colleagues and users with varying technical backgrounds in a fast-paced work environment. They must stay current with advanced technologies and update system documentation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsible to support the operational design, performance, and integrity of enterprise-wide databases
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
• Knowledge of database and computer systems policies, procedures, and processes
• Knowledge of information systems, Oracle , Microsoft SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL databases, database optimizing and tuning, SQL, programming, scripting and operating systems practices and processes
• Knowledge of office productivity software, internet browsers and search engines, discipline specific software (TOAD, SQL Developer, OEM, SQL Server Management Studio), enterprise software and technology devices
• Knowledge of Windows and Linux Operating Systems, and basic scripting and Administration on those Operating Systems
• Knowledge of best practices, procedures and policies in the realm of IT Security
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
• Completion of college diploma or bachelor’s degree in information systems or computer science
• Minimum of four year of previous database and computer systems experience
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
View complete position description
You must login first before attempting to apply for any postion.
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.