The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is the largest humanitarian network in the world. Its mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. It is present in every country and supported by millions of volunteers.
- Experience 4 – 6 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field Law / Legal
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Protection Coordinator (Detention), the Detention Field Officer 2 advises ABJ Delegation on detention activities related to judicial guarantees, as well as maintaining an extensive and effective network among Nigerian authorities, the Government of the Federation, the judiciary and other relevant actors (CSO, Nigerian Bar association, etc.) for that purpose. The Detention Field Officer 2 initiates, formulates and implements strategies to strengthen the implementation of judicial guarantees.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops responses to ensure the respect of detainees’ rights to due process and judicial guarantees at all stages of arrest and detention (including at the earliest stages of detention or capture).
- Plans, carries out and reports on detention activities related to judicial guarantees autonomously: develops a mapping of the
- key State organs, international organizations, development agencies and other relevant actors involved in judicial guarantees
- related programs; develops and/or strengthens contacts with judicial bodies and national/ regional/international oversight
- mechanisms or institutions working in the field of judicial guarantees and represents the Delegation in such meetings; assists
- in producing guidelines in the field of Judicial Guarantees in Detention.
- Supports detention delegates in developing plans of action, evidence-based studies and analysis and provides briefings and
- technical support relating to judicial guarantees to staff involved in detention activities.
- Contributes to the organization of round-table discussions and seminars for criminal justice authorities.
- Supports the delegation in producing thematic reports on the main humanitarian issues resulting from lack of respect for due process and judicial guarantees (overcrowding, access to essential services, incarceration trends etc.); on detention policies;
- alternatives to detention; and formulating solution-oriented key messages.
- Supports the review of guidelines and regulations and any other legislations that may have an impact on judicial guarantees.
- Monitors the legislative agendas and policies and assess how they can positively or negatively influence deprivation of liberty.
- Supports the promotion of oversight standards and mechanisms in Nigeria Correctional Service (NCoS) and Nigerian Police Force (NPF) custody.
- Ensures coordination between Protection, Legal and Armed and Security Forces Departments in relation to judicial guarantees.
Education and Experience Required
- University degree in law or relevant professional experience.
- Studied international law with a strong understanding of human rights and criminal law
- 4-6years’ experience as a lawyer, criminal justice expert, or similar, or in other relevant organizations.
- Relevant work experience in international organizations and Nigerian organizations (e.g. civil society organizations, law firm)
- working on the criminal justice system
- Excellent command of English and other Nigerian local languages including Hausa.
Desired profile and Skills
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills, Computer proficiency
- Proven experience in leading and managing activities or projects.
- Proven research and analytical skills; able to think critically and articulate legal arguments in a structured and professional manner
- Knowledge of prison authorities or criminal justice actors and other stakeholders, potential network of interlocutors.
- Skilled in the following competencies: Networking & Communication; Adapting & Learning; Responsibility & Autonomy;
- Communication (ability to express views and ideas); Analysis & Synthesis.
Method of Application
Send Curriculum vitae, Application letter and NYSC Certificate to [email protected]
Clearly indicate “ABJ202100223 Detention Field Officer 2 ABJ OR “ABJ202100237 Logistician 2 ABJ as the subject of your application (Applications intended for this role without this subject will not be treated)
In the body of the mail, please indicate the following in the format as seen:
- Current location
- Languages you speak
- Years of relevant experience
The deadline for the submission of applications will be 17.12.2021, 16:30hrs. Late application will not be considered
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Equal opportunities shall be provided to all employees and applicants for employment based on their demonstrated ability and competence
without discrimination based on race, colour, religion, sex, nationality, status, disability etc.
(Female candidates are encouraged to apply)
However, ICRC will not request for any monetary payments from applicants at any stage of the recruitment process.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.