Organization: UNHCR - United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is recruiting a Digital Content Specialist -UNOPS IICA-2 position within the Digital Engagement Service, Division of External Relations.
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions. Established in December 1950, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect and assist refugees and other persons of concern. For more than six decades, UNHCR’s work has helped over 50 million refugees restart their lives. UNHCR teams are in the field in over 130 countries, using their expertise to protect and care for nearly 65 million people who have been forced to flee their homes.
- Title: Digital Content Specialist
- Duty Station: Copenhagen, Denmark
- Duration: 15 February – 31 December 2022
- Contract Type: UNOPS International Specialist, Level IICA – 2 (UNOPS Local ICA Specialist, Level LICA-10)
- Closing date: 2nd January 2022
The Digital Engagement team advises on, creates and delivers digital solutions and strategies for engaging with UNHCR’s primary audiences, including the public, partners, governments, refugees and staff. As part of its responsibilities, DES oversees UNHCR’s global web presence, partnering with the Global Communication Service (GCS) and other stakeholders within the organization to ensure that the website strategy delivers effectively on the organization’s communication goals.
Within this context, the Digital Content Specialist will work closely with subject matter experts across the organization to review, edit and adapt their content with the goal of ensuring it meets the needs of the relevant target audiences and adheres to editorial and brand requirements, follows digital best practice and supports clear communication goals as defined in the overall web strategy.
Purpose and Scope
The contractor will operate within the Digital Engagement Service (DES), which sits in the Division of External Relations (DER).
Under the overall supervision of the Communications Officer (web content), the Digital Content Specialist will curate content for the global English-language unhcr.org website, ensuring that selected content adheres to the web strategy and supports the organization’s communication goals.
Duties and responsibilities
In particular, this role will be responsible for the following:
Optimize content for unhcr.org
- Review thematic content on unhcr.org, including existing and newly submitted content, and make recommendations for revision based on digital best practice, audience insights and communications objectives in line with the web strategy
- Write and/or edit copy for webpages on unhcr.org based on website guidelines, seeking approval from internal teams prior to publication as needed
- Use SEO strategies to maximize online visibility
- Maintain and adapt process for systematic content review and optimization
- Support Senior Digital Engagement Assoc. in creating trainings for web editors on content optimization as needed
- Monitor and analyze site performance and KPIs to offer suggestions for content optimization
- Use results of UX research to adapt and improve content, navigation structure and layout in coordination with other members of the web team / Digital Engagement team
- Work with Brand team to ensure site content adheres to brand requirements
- Contribute to user testing and other audience research projects as needed
- Help organize weekly meetings / calls / workshops etc. as needed
- Work with Archives team as needed to ensure content is regularly and accurately archived Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Media studies, (Digital) Journalism or related field.
- Training and/or significant experience in the production of editorial content for websites is essential
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience (5 years for master holders), including significant experience in writing and editing digital content for a large web presence is required in combination with a relevant Bachelor or Master’s degree
Excellent writing and editing skills (English language) for digital platforms in a professional environment
Strong understanding of how to apply digital best practice for web content (SEO, UX)
Ability to transform complex issues into easy-to-understand content
Proficient in adapting content to editorial and brand guidelines
Good understanding of digital analytics, ability to interpret data to make informed editorial decisions
Proficiency in the use of content management systems for publishing web content (WordPress, Drupal or similar)
Good time management skills, including prioritization, scheduling and adapting as necessary
Fluency in English
Familiarity with user research and user testing techniques
Familiarity with applications of audience personas and broader UX considerations in web content strategy
Knowledge of web accessibility principles
The successful candidate will be based in Copenhagen, Denmark.
This position is initially up to the end of the year with possibility of extension. It is a full-time role starting from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).
This vacancy is open both for applicants residing in Denmark, as well as for those residents of other countries. The remuneration level and the applicable entitlements and benefits may be different based on the residence of the most suitable selected candidate.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Closing date for the receipt of applications: 2nd January 2022, midnight (Copenhagen time)
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.