CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us, and fight with CARE.
The Director, Content Strategy oversees CARE USA’s story gathering and development, budget management, and partners with Regional and Country Office staff and contractors to bring the story of CARE’s work in 102 countries around the world to life. The Director, Content Strategy is also the managing editor of CARE News, the website where CARE content is published first. This role manages content against CARE’s organizational strategy and goals, builds and leads complex content teams, and moves top-tier content into the market. In collaboration with other key organizational leads, the Director, Content Strategy seeks out story trends and key, sometimes unforeseen or underreported issues, for CARE.
The content developed in turn drives supporter acquisition, engagement, and retention by leveraging data, analyzing the competitive landscape, and recognizing opportunities for innovation. The Director, Content Strategy is an experienced leader with expertise in both the art and science of data-driven content strategies who can help position CARE as the leading poverty-fighting nonprofit for women and girls.
- News Reporter
- Ethical Storyteller
- Brand Campaigns
- Content Connector
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications or equivalent.
- 10+ years working with content for web, mobile & social environments
- Has led teams of 5+ and managed development of content organizational design
- Excellent writing skills with demonstrated ability to write successfully for the web (driving traffic, building engagement, and optimizing user experience)
- Strong analytical and quantitative abilities, excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to craft digital content that inspires deep loyalty and heavy engagement and frequent sharing by audience
- Experience with social media advertising platforms
- Ability to create, edit, curate and distribute digital and social media content.
- Ability to manage teams of people toward common goals
- Proven experience managing editorial calendar and comprehensive online content
- Knowledge of Google Analytics + experience using data to define content & SEO strategies
- Experience with social and web content management systems.
- Solid portfolio demonstrating strong content strategy, research and creativity; and a breadth of experience across a range of content types.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please visit our website at
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at [email protected]**
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE’s career website at any time. *
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.