Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day-to-day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks include: Excellence– We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom– We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect- We believe in trust, empathy, and empowering people. Teamwork- We believe in diversity, inclusion and the power of global collaboration. Transparency– We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
The International Republican Institute’s Center for Global Impact is designed to help IRI learn, innovate, and lead in global democratic development programming. Comprised of experts specializing in a range of technical areas and program staff who oversee global and cross-cutting initiatives, the Center leads the Institute’s efforts to contribute to thought leadership, respond to emerging global challenges and trends, facilitate global initiatives, and serve as an incubator for new ideas and cutting-edge approaches.
The Director for Technology and Democracy leads IRI’s work on technology and democracy, including but not limited to that focused on civic technology, government technology, information integrity and content moderation, digital inclusion, digital rights, cyber security and digital safety, and internet freedom. This position is responsible for the management and strategic direction of IRI’s Technology and Democracy portfolio, to include design and management of programs, partner relations, oversight of program activities, oversight of field activities, monitoring and evaluation, financial management, fundraising, advocacy, outreach, staff supervision, and administration. The Director provides strategic direction for and leads the Center’s involvement in designing and implementing (alone or in partnership with IRI regional divisions) programming related to Technology and Democracy. The role works with the IRI front office and leadership across the organization to ensure that the Institute is well placed to deliver on its mission as technology changes every aspect of democracy assistance.
· Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations, or related field.
Ten or more years related work experience in program design and management, politics/government, think tank/academia, technology, or international development.
Expertise in the ways in which technology intersects with democracy, including civic technology, government technology, information integrity and content moderation, digital inclusion, digital rights, cyber security and digital safety, and internet freedom.
Excellent writing, communications, and presentation skills.
· Strong ability to initiate, foster, interact, and maintain relationships with contacts and stakeholders in a diverse and multicultural organization, with sensitivity respect, discretion, tact, and professionalism.
· Experience managing large teams, including a proven ability to successfully recruit, develop, supervise, and motivate staff, and provide effective leadership.
· Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
· Proven ability to effectively direct or participate in complex negotiations with bilateral and/or multilateral government agencies, other donors, or relevant audiences.
· Ability to work well under pressure and adapt to shifting priorities.
· Proven ability to write effective proposals, reports, procedures, complete required forms, and maintain complete and accurate documentation.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
· Advise IRI on how it needs to adapt to fulfill its mission as technological developments change the nature of democracy assistance worldwide, from building resilience to hybrid warfare to shaping how programming is delivered as internet connectivity increases to helping legal and operational teams adjust to the requirements of technology-focused programs.
· Develop and implement a future-forward strategy for Technology and Democracy programming at IRI, both within the Technology and Democracy team and for IRI’s regional and country programs.
· Manage and grow the Technology and Democracy team. **
· Oversee quality of technology related expertise to IRI regional divisions in developing program ideas and activities.**
· Maintain an understanding of donor and IRI policies and procedures and provides oversight and ensures donor and grant compliance.
· Identify new business development opportunities and develop strong professional relationships with potential donors.
· In coordination with the Center’s Senior Director, develop and execute a business development plan and associated capture strategies for Technology and Democracy -related programming, both Center-led and Center-supported for the Institute.
· Monitor proposal and reporting development and submission process to ensure complete, accurate, and timely proposal and reporting submissions.
· Supervise Technology and Democracy staff.
· Develop and maintains partnerships by building and fostering cordial, productive working relationship with funders and program partners.
· Publish and/or co-author op-eds, blogs, and other written articles to demonstrate IRI’s thought leadership and technical areas of expertise on digital democracy topics, both in US and foreign outlets. **
· Communicate with counterparts on a regular basis and foster a positive image of IRI in the democracy and governance community. Serves as liaison on Technology and Democracy program matters to other institutions, including the U.S. government, Congress, and the National Endowment for Democracy.
· Provide regular updates to IRI leadership and other staff on relevant topics and programming.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
How to apply
Please submit both resume and cover letter to the company website: Director for Technology and Democracy | Job Opportunities (ultipro.com)
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.