Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas, all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Bank is seeking to build a management team that will lead the successful implementation of this vision.
The Vice Presidency for ‘Private Sector Infrastructure and Industrialization’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s TYS H5s priority of “Industrialize Africa”. The objectives of the Complex are to: (i) develop the ‘Africa Industrial Strategy’; (ii) provide deep sector expertise to the Regions by leveraging on experienced individuals who can be consulted on complex transactions; (iii) develop new financing instruments; (iv) act as the Bank’s Spoke person on “Industrialize Africa”.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
The Director is responsible for providing leadership in Infrastructure, Cities and Urban Development and guide Bank’s strategies and action plans in these areas to support the implementation of the High Five Strategies. Through the three Divisions namely (1) Transport and Logistics (2) ICT and (3) Cities and Urban Development, He/She will develop sector strategies and support their roll out and execution on the region, represent the Bank with external stakeholders and provide deep sector expertise and experts who can be consulted by the regions to the deliver the Bank’s business and its future prospective areas of intervention in the sector.
The Infrastructure Directorate will particularly undertakes analytical and advisory activities to underpin lending programs and support policy dialogue with RMCs to formulate and implement Infrastructure, Cities and Urban Development Strategies and reforms, ensuring that best practices are mainstreamed in policy, planning, programming, institutional governance, and maintenance and operation.
- To act as the Bank’s most important expert on Infrastructure Development, Cities & Urban Development
- To strengthen and maintain the Bank’s understanding of the Infrastructure, Cities and Urban Development sector and its role in the development of the continent.
- To advise on future investments in the sector by the Bank and its regional member countries
Infrastructure, Cities and Urban Development Strategies:
- Drive and support the Bank’s Strategy to build an effective and sustainable Infrastructure, Cities and Urban Development of the Bank in consultation with internal stakeholders.
- Ensure the appropriate implementation of the strategy through communication and advise to all relevant stakeholders in the Bank, particularly operations functions, and define a monitoring framework.
- Identify and develop any necessary policies to underpin the strategy.
- Consult as necessary with external partners and Regional and non-Regional Member Countries on the form and efficacy of the strategy.
- Generate and maintain effective partnerships with key stakeholders to ensure Worldwide expertise to support the development goals of the Bank and the continent.
- Devise the Bank’s contribution to key Infrastructure themes such as inclusive approach on Infrastructure Development.
- Coordinate and Lead work alongside key partners, such as other MDBs and the World Economic Forum to design Infrastructure -based programs and solutions for the economic and social infrastructure development of Africa.
- Publish major Economic Sector Works and analytical reports on Infrastructure, taking into account the comparative advantage that the Bank can bring to bear to any specific subject or theme.
- Convene associated workshops/conference/forum and media events to solidify the learning across Africa.
- Represent the Bank at International, regional and national conferences and workshops on Infrastructure Development.
- Provide cutting edge advice on infrastructure investments to foster public and private partnerships and the use of all the Bank’s financing instruments.
- Manage the Division Managers as well as Director’s Front Experts to meet demanding KPIs.
- Develop and safeguard the Bank’s brand as a source of Infrastructure knowledge for Africa by detailing the quality of output expected from the Directorate and ensuring that it is attained.
- Manage the administrative budget for the Directorate.
COMPETENCIES (skills, experience and knowledge):
- At least a Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Transport Engineering, Transport Planning, Transport Logistics, or related discipline.
- Have a minimum of ten (10) years of extensive and progressive experience at increasingly senior levels in the Infrastructure sector, Multi-lateral Financial Institutions, with proven experience in developing countries, five (5) years of which must be at a managerial level.
- Demonstrated ability to lead sector dialogue with proven experience in providing quality policy and project advice at high levels to national governments on infrastructure issues.
- Strategic mindset; strong capacity to analyze actions from the perspectives of stakeholders and translate strategic thinking into compelling plans of ééaction and to take prudent business risks to make effective, timely, and well-thought decisions;
- Evidence of ability to build and lead motivated and committed teams across functional boundaries and utilize talent and expertise of team members in a productive way.
- Demonstrated ability to present and win support for ideas; a good listener; and cultural sensitivity, commitment to diversity and capacity to initiate and manage innovations and change
- Good knowledge of financing instruments and options.
- Communicate and write effectively in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications and preferably, SAP.
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct [email protected]
2- External Candidate
If you are not currently working at the African Development Bank, or if you are a Short Term Staff (STS), a Technical Assistant or a Consultant at the Bank, click on the button below to apply for the position.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.