WMO - World Meteorological Organization
Director, Regional Office for Africa
WMO – World Meteorological Organization
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The incumbent is responsible for the management, control and operation of the Regional Office for Africa (Ethiopia), and its Representative Offices in Nigeria and Kenya, including the development and implementation of technical cooperation activities, ensuring that these Offices carry out their work as integral parts of the Secretariat and in collaboration with the departments/offices and other Regional Offices of the Organization. Under the supervision of the Director, Member Services and Development (MS) Department, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Keep abreast of activities in meteorology, operational hydrology and related geophysical sciences, the internationally-agreed development goals and initiatives, as well as the latest developments of relevance to Members of Region I (Africa); provide advice, facilitate and coordinate assistance to Members of the Region; promote strategic partnerships collaboration particularly with Members and their National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs), and encourage NMHSs to enter into partnerships at local, subregional and regional levels;
- Support the President of the Regional Association I (Africa), the RA I Management Group and all Members in the Region for promoting the execution of WMO Congress and Executive Council Resolutions; identify the key priorities of Members in the Region to contribute to the development of the WMO Strategic Plan and support implementation of the WMO Strategic Plan, Regional Implementation Plan, and relevant decisions by the Regional Association in the Region;
- Coordinate, organize and support the work of the Regional Association I including sessions and meetings/activities of its subsidiary bodies, and other activities and events in the Region; render assistance and provide advice to the president of RA I in the execution of his/her duties; coordinate and contribute to the preparation of documentation related to the Regional Office for Africa for sessions of Congress, Executive Council, Technical Commissions, the WMO Strategic Plan and the Secretary-General’s Programme and Budget proposals;
- Engage regional and international organizations, including regional and intergovernmental institutions, development partners and funding agencies in the Region to mobilize resources and advocate for the role of WMO and NMHSs and the importance of weather, water and climate services to socio-economic development;
- (e) Develop and maintain close liaison with relevant United Nations system organizations, United Nations Economic Commissions, Regional Economic Commissions, Governments and development partners, to further coordinate efforts and activities towards raising the profile and strengthening the capabilities of NMHSs especially in Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and Small Island Developing States (SIDS), in collaboration with other Regional Offices;
- Prepare the WMO contribution to the United Nations reports on sustainable development and to specific United Nations documents dealing with LDC and SIDS issues;
- Promote the development of national and regional initiatives for enhanced capacities of Members, particularly their NMHSs with a special focus on LDCs and SIDS, through managing the programmes and projects in the Region, as well as provide timely and appropriate assistance and advice in the identification, development, implementation and evaluation of regional programmes and projects, including on technical cooperation activities and emergency response and assistance for disaster-affected Members;
- Promote intra-regional cooperation as well as interregional coordination of RA I (Africa) with RA II (Asia), and VI (Europe), especially with a view to addressing cross boundary issues at the intersections of these Regions;
- Coordinate actions towards promoting the role of WMO and the NMHSs in achieving international development goals, in collaboration with other departments/offices in the Secretariat and through South-South cooperation activities, in coordination with the WMO focal point for the United Nations South-South Cooperation Framework and the United Nations Programme of Action for LDCs;
- Be fully informed of the special needs, relevant activities and developments in Africa and report, in coordination with other Regional Office Directors, to the Executive Management, as appropriate, and draw the attention of the Secretary-General to matters requiring his personal attention;
- Manage, control and execute, in the most cost-effective approach, the approved budget; direct, organize and manage the work and activities of the Regional Office and Sub-regional Office for Africa by managing staff efficiency and performance. Engage the recruitment process for international and national staff, project staff, secondments, and temporary staff;
- Systematically trace the status and development of WMO Member NMHSs by utilizing the Country Profile Database and by developing detailed regional databases for infrastructure and services capacities of Members in the Region;
- Coordinate the work of the Coordinators for Infrastructure and Services to enhance technical support to Members in the region;
- Carry out other relevant duties as required.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Earth Sciences (Meteorology, Climatology, Atmospheric Sciences, Hydrology or a closely related field) and/or in Business, International Relations or Diplomacy. A Ph.D would be an advantage.
- A minimum of 15 years of combined national and international progressively responsible experience at senior management level, including development, implementation and managment of operations, projects and programmes at the national, regional and international levels. Proven experience in building partnerships and in mobilizing resources. Practical experience in fostering collaboration between institutions in developed and developing countries and in capacity development programmes. Familiarity with the structure and working procedures of WMO. Experience in planning and organizing meetings, workshops and seminars.
- Excellent supervisory, managerial, networking and financial management skills. Proven experience on strategic and operational planning, international dialogue and relations. Experience working at/or with National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs). Good understanding of the working arrangement of regional and international organizations present in the continent relevant to the work of NMHSs. Strong sense of responsibility, originality of ideas, maturity of judgement and ability to motivate and lead a team and participate actively as a team member. Good communication skills and proven drafting ability. Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to foster diversity and team spirit.
Don’t forget to mention unjobvacancies.com when applying.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.