COOPI is looking for a Security Focal Point in East Africa
Purpose of the role
The main objective of the Security Focal Point is to contribute to ensuring the safety and security of COOPI’s staff, beneficiaries and assets, as well as to support continuity of programmes through ensuring implementation of risk analysis, security framework and protocols. The secondary key objective is to build capacity in safety and security management across mission team at all levels and to identify and train a national security focal point.
- Definition of needs, recruitment and induction of the Country Security team;
- Definition of roles and responsibilities of all mission staff with regard to security management;
Policies and Procedures
- Elaboration of the security management policy for the country;
- Contribute to develop, consolidate, implement, and regularly review operating procedures and security plans;
- Revises and updates the organization’s security tools.
Staff and Vehicle Movement
- In collaboration with the logistics and project team, monitor movement and provide security guidance to international and national staff on the current situation in operational areas;
- Daily track and record all COOPI field movements and ensure vehicle and personal tracking systems are appropriate, fully resourced, and operational
- Regularly conduct field visits to assess field site compliance with safety and security procedure during field activities.
Monitoring and Analysis
- Monitor the security situation in the field, promptly and effectively report risks and propose mitigation actions;
- Collect and report information regarding politics and security in the country as well as on safety and security issues concerning COOPI;
- Respond to security relevant incidents with information gathering and report to COOPI Country Logistic Coordinator and Head of Mission;
- Undertake continual assessments of equipment (including vehicles) and organizational assets to ensure that minimal conditions for security are met. Prevent loss and damage by reporting irregularities; informing violators of policy and procedures;
- Conduct regular health and safety inspections;
- Regularly inventory and stock as necessary hibernation kits, first aid kits, and vehicle safety kits, communication gadgets; ensure that staff know what is in the kits and how and when to use them;
- Submit regular contextual updates (weekly/monthly situational reports) to the Head of Mission and the Country Logistic coordinator;
- Work closely with COOPI field teams to ensure all incidents are followed up with an official written Incident Report, which is then shared with relevant stakeholders and filled appropriately;
- Take appropriate measures to secure COOPI premises, personnel, assets, and properties by regularly monitoring and control of COOPI existing security set-up;
- Liaise with other humanitarian actors in the field in order to obtain information on the safety and security situation;
- Gather security incidents concerning areas of operations and organize them in a security incident database (mapping of security incidents, graphics and data);
- Immediate alerts in the event of a drastic change in the context or significant incidents;
Coordination and Networking
- Maintain a wide professional and personal network of influential actors and clearly communicate COOPI’s status and mission in the region;
- Create, develop and maintain a contextual and security information and exchange networks in COOPI intervention areas in the region;
- Develop and maintain a security network with COOPI players already present in the areas of intervention;
- Build acceptance to facilitate continuity of current COOPI programs and any future humanitarian or development programming by liaising with local communities, local authorities and other humanitarian actors and stakeholders within the country;
- Regularly update and monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and ensure their compliance with COOPI security rules;
- Propose, define and write new SOPs if needed;
- Carry out regular site visits to verify the knowledge, application and validity of SOPs;
- Ensure the proper use, operation, updating of equipment and practical safety measures;
- Contribute to ensure the implementation and respect of the SOPs in the mission as well as the monitoring of materials related to security;
- Contribute to the development of risk mitigation strategies, including the drafting or adaptation of SOPs to the environment, Safety instructions and Contingency Plan;
Briefing and Training
- Conduct security briefings for new staff on security rules and context of intervention, and provide them with the essential documents and tools according to their roles and needs;
- Ensure the distribution of the Constant Companion;
- Train or organise training for staff in security management, the use of means of communication, security rules or any other support that can improve the security of the mission;
- Remain available to staff in the event of a request for support related to the context or security and being proactive if a need is identified.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent combination of experience and education;
- Minimum of 3 years experience providing security support to international missions in Africa and developing countries;
- Experience working and living in complex political environment or developing countries;
- Strong oral and written communications skills in English;
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and implement security operations in the field;
- Proven ability in teaching and coaching in security domain;
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing and spreadsheet applications;
- Ability to analyze multiple issues and develop specific recommendations;
- Flexibility and adaptability in order to rapidly develop relevant advises based on changing geopolitical context.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received. Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled, thanks for understanding.
COOPI Cooperazione Internazionale is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan, Italy. For more than 50 years we have been dedicated to breaking the cycle of poverty and to supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic crises or natural disasters in their path to recovery and sustainable development, by making use of the professionalism of local and international operators, and through our partnerships with public and private bodies and civil society organizations.
How to apply
Please send your CV and motivation letter – https://coopi.org/en/job-position.html?id=4515&view=2
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.