Save Children: Save the Children International
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Lead on education assessments as relevant using SC assessment processes and tools. Coordinate with other SC thematic areas and/or the Education sub-working group or other external sector agencies, ensuring assessment findings are documented and that all assessments include a disaggregated analysis of children’s needs.
- Working with the Deputy Team Leader – Programmes and SC Romania member team to develop education sector plans and master budgets and contribute to Save the Children’s overall response strategy.
- Lead on the education sector plan revisions and implementation, focusing on identified and emerging risks and prevention and response to drop-out risks or loss of learning for children, referral pathways, coordination with relevant service providers, capacity building, implementation of international standards and best practice.
- Ensure strong monitoring systems for education issues are in place in coordination with the MEAL team.
- Ensure learning from projects feed into local and global learning and that data and evidence drive operational and technical decision-making for education.
- Lead on education integration in other sectors.
- Working closely with senior staff, support fundraising for education, including development of high-quality concept notes and proposals, and engagement with members and regional technical advisers as needed.
- Support programme implementation to ensure timely and high-quality delivery of programme activities
- Support timely programme and donor reports on education activities in compliance with internal SC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Working closely with the SC Romania member team, identify education staffing needs (both national and international) for emergency programmes, and ensure rapid recruitment, induction and training of new staff.
- Identify education programme supplies needs and coordinate with the logistics team to put in place a sensible phased procurement plan.
- Working closely with the SC Romania member office put in place an education monitoring and evaluation (M&E) plan, ensuring this links to reporting requirements, and capacity build education and M&E field staff in carrying out the work.
- Working closely with SC Romania member office and the Accountability lead put in place accountability activities, ensuring that feedback from all relevant stakeholders is considered in programme design.
- Ensure that the humanitarian minimum standards are maintained in accordance with the Inter-Agency Standing Committees recommendations for education in emergencies, INEE, the Sphere Charter and Minimum Standards and the Core Humanitarian Standards.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for SC Romania staff and deliver trainings accordingly.
- Work as a mentor and role model for less experienced SC Romania staff.
- Together with other sectors, identify sector-integrated capacity building opportunities and deliver trainings accordingly to SC Romania staff.
Representation, Advocacy & Organisational Learning
- Ensure that Save the Children’s work is coordinated with efforts of other agencies and Government, and take a leadership role within Interagency Coordination forums, ensuring the specific needs of children are being addressed.
- Take steps to document lessons learned for wider dissemination.
- In collaboration with senior programme staff, assist in education advocacy activities that target decision-makers at all levels.
- In collaboration with SCA education colleagues, feed in learning, experiences and evidence to relevant global education advocacy objectives.
- Identify opportunities and material to contribute to communications and media work, acting as a spokesperson when required.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Significant management or advisor level education experience working in emergency contexts or fragile states
- Previous first phase emergency response experience is essential
- Education to MSc/MA/MEng level in education or similar, or equivalent field experience.
- Ability to identify the main gaps in education in the given context to inform a holistic response for children.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in using established inter-agency standards and guidelines in education.
- Previous experience of project management
- Experience of and commitment to working through systems of community participation and accountability
- Experience in monitoring and evaluating education programmes in emergency, transition and development contexts
- Experience in capacity building and in strengthening various duty bearers understanding of and response to education.
- Experience of representation and ability to represent SC effectively in external forums.
- Experience of working with and supporting local partners
- Experience of preparing successful funding proposals for donors
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong influencing skills and experience in advocacy
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- A high level of written and spoken English
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to and understanding of child rights, the aims and principles of SC, and humanitarian standards such as the Sphere Charter and the Code of Conduct. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts
- Experience of designing and managing projects funded by institutional donors
- Experience of working in interagency projects.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com you saw this job posting.