(Senior) Loan Officer
EIB – European Investment Bank
The EIB, the European Union’s bank, is seeking to recruit for its Operations Directorate (OPS) – Neighbouring Countries Department (NC) – Banks Division (NC-4) at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a (Senior) Loan Officer. This is a full time position at grade 5/6.
Would you like to join a dynamic team at the EU Bank and help unlock the potential of the private sector in the Neighbourhood of the European Union?
The term of this contract will be 4 years.
Panel interviews are anticipated for end of October 2021.
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
You will identify, appraise, negotiate and monitor financial transactions benefitting Small and Medium Enterprises in the countries of the European Neighbourhood, according to EIB policies and procedures and with the objective to contribute to EU Policy goals, in line with the agreed strategy and the Department’s Business plan.
You will be responsible for the origination and execution of lending and risk sharing transactions primarily with financial institutions, however sovereign counterparts and funds may also be included in the scope of the position. You will be tracking developments and monitor your target market.
You will report to the Head of Division and cooperate closely with colleagues working in the region and with other functions of the Bank involved in such transactions. You will have external interaction with potential and existing counterparts as well as other stakeholders and colleagues, such as the European Commission and the European Investment Fund (EIF).
- Identify financing opportunities that best meet COP objectives;
- Lead the evaluation of the quality of potential projects and their chance of success, in consultation as appropriate with the Projects Directorate (PJ), Risk Management (RM), Legal (JU), OPS Operational Support Department and Advisory Services, and the external offices;
- Appraise financing operations, evaluate their feasibility, analyse project and financial risks, draft reports and financing proposals in cooperation with the appraisal team;
- Identify needs and opportunities for Technical Assistance;
- Negotiate terms and conditions of loan and other project documentation with promoters and other counterparts, in coordination with JU RM, and PJ;
- Contribute to the disbursement process and fulfilment of conditions in coordination with the Department’s Implementation Unit, the Joint Middle Office, PJ, RM, Transaction Management & Restructuring (TMR) Directorates;
- In the event of restructuring and/or contractual modifications, conduct negotiations in liaison with RM, TMR and JU Directorates;
- Contribute to mandate origination, development and implementation in cooperation with OPS/Mandate Management;
- Cooperate with Economics Department on market and sector studies and identify opportunities for engagement with national and regional policy-makers on such basis;
- Innovate and suggest improvements to existing tools, systems and products in response to changes in the operational framework.
- University degree, preferably in Finance/Economics;
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in the financial sector, ideally with a focus on banks and bank-intermediated lending;
- Expertise in financial analysis and experience in credit risk assessment;
- Expertise in SME finance, including familiarity with access to finance, technical assistance, etc.;
- Expertise in financial instruments, such as risk-sharing instruments, portfolio guarantees…;
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and a good command of French (*). Knowledge of languages of the region would be an asset.
Find out more about EIB core competencies here.
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank’s working languages.
We are an equal opportunity employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. As such, we promote the inclusion of suitably qualified and experienced staff without regard to their gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, religion or beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, or disability (*).
By applying for this position you acknowledge the importance of maintaining the security and integrity of the Information of the EIB Group. In case of selection for the position you agree to comply with all measures (policies, controls, document classification and management) implemented by the EIB Group to prevent unauthorized disclosure of any information or any damage to the EIB Group reputation.
Deadline for applications: 8th October 2021
(*). We particularly welcome applications from women and persons with disabilities.
Don’t forget to mention unjobvacancies.com when applying.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.