International Rescue Committee
Over the past 80 years, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) has developed unparalleled expertise in responding to emergencies and helping uprooted communities to rebuild. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. The International Rescue Committee Europe is part of the IRC global network which has its headquarters in New York, London and Berlin. The IRC is on the ground in some 40 countries providing emergency relief, relocating refugees and rebuilding lives in the wake of disaster.
The IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and, most crucially, accountability to those we serve. The IRC is a tireless advocate for the most vulnerable. Europe is one of the fastest growing regions for the IRC and currently consists of offices in the UK, Belgium, Switzerland and Germany. IRC’s Resettlement, Asylum and Integration team manages a number of country programmes in Europe including the UK, Germany, Greece and Italy.
IRC is an equal opportunities employer and is deeply committed to ensuring we achieve diversity in our workforce regardless of gender, race, religious beliefs, nationality, ethnic/national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
THE EUROPE POLICY & ADVOCACY DEPARTMENT
The European Policy and Advocacy Team, headed by the Senior Director of Policy & Advocacy, consists of 15 staff based across the UK, Belgium and Germany. The core purpose of the Policy and Advocacy Department is to increase the IRC’s influence and profile, developing the IRC as a thought leader in Europe that can drive transformational policy change in the humanitarian sector. We aim to improve outcomes for people living in, and displaced by, conflict and crisis. The team works closely with IRC’s global team of policy analysts and advocates based in Washington DC, New York and Geneva as well as programmes teams in countries and regions around the world.
The Purpose of the Role
This role will be responsible for supporting Policy and Advocacy strategies in Europe to build profile and influence with European decision makers in order to improve outcomes for those affected by conflict and crisis.
Key Working Relationships
- Report to the Senior Director of Policy and Advocacy – Europe.
- Work together with Europe Policy and Advocacy Directors and teams across Europe to help develop advocacy strategies, with clear, measurable objectives
- Work closely with P+A teams in Geneva, Washington DC and New York
- Close collaboration with other teams in the External Relations department, including media, digital, marketing
- Close collaboration with the European Strategic Partnerships Team on aligned policy, advocacy and funding strategies for key donor stakeholders.
- Close collaboration with the Offices of the CEO/President and the Senior Vice President for Europe to support the engagement of IRC senior leadership with European donor and political stakeholders
Coordination of the Europe Policy and Advocacy teams across Europe
- Support the Senior Director of Europe Policy and Advocacy in coordination of the P+A teams, ensuring strong collaboration and information flow across thematic workstreams and geographical offices
- Prepare and organize internal meetings and workshops for European P+A department and Senior Management Teams
- Coordinate briefing processes for engagement with high level stakeholders
- Support the organisation of meeting schedules for visits of senior leadership
- Ensure strong collaboration and alignment with other teams across the External Relations department, providing regular and timely information flow on policy and advocacy agendas
- Support the policy leads in managing their respective working groups, including preparing and minuting meetings, tracking progress and communicating with team members
Support for strategic planning and reporting
- Work closely with the Global P+A team in managing internal processes relating to strategic planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting
- Support the identification, tracking and monitoring of progress towards Key Performance Indicators for IRC’s Quarterly Strategic Review
- Provide regular updates and information on policy and advocacy work to internal stakeholders and coordinate reporting to board members
- Create and maintain internal systems, including contact databases (Salesforce), calendars of upcoming events and opportunities.
Gender, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (GEDI)
- Support the implementation of IRC Belgium’s GEDI action plan and Europe P+A GEDI commitments
- Play an active role on GEDI working groups
Skills, Knowledge and experience
- Exceptional project management skills, ideally with previous experience managing complex initiatives
- Ability to present material in a clear and succinct manner, and prepare engaging powerpoint presentations
- Excellent knowledge of the European political and policy landscape, including key advocacy targets, and processes governing humanitarian aid and development policy
- Strong written and communication skills in English, and the ability to translate complex material and data into coherent narratives
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Commitment to Diversity, Equality, Inclusion and to the IRC’s vision, missions and values
- Experience designing and implementing strategic planning processes
- Understanding of the Humanitarian and Development NGO sector, experience of working in the UN, European institutions, or in a relevant public affairs role
- Experience of working on complex policy issues, ideally on migration, home affairs, humanitarian issues and/ or foreign affairs
- Experience of stakeholder management tools, especially Salesforce
- Experience of working as part of an cross-organisational team to deliver on projects/ strategies, and of quickly forming effective working relationships to deliver results
- Fluency in French and other European languages
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.