SUMMARY ABOUT THE PROJECT
TTP is a 5-year programme, which commenced in 2019 and will end in 2024. It focuses on customs, domestic tax and tax policy. The beneficiary institutions are the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Revenue, and the Customs Commission. The programme is unique, in that it adopts an accelerated delivery approach; technical assistance is channelled through the Tax Transformation Office (TTO), a delivery unit embedded in the Ministry of Revenues, of which TTP has assumed the management responsibilities.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Ministry of Finance is requesting that TTP fund an Excise Tax Advisor. The objective for the Advisor is to work with the Ministry of Revenues and Customs Commission in making the necessary preparations for the implementation of the new excise tax law and to provide capability building within the Ministry of Revenues and Customs Commission for efficient administration of the law. The Ethiopian Government is looking to replicate experience and lessons learned from the Kenyan excise tax administration.
The Advisor’s length of engagement would be up to 6 months. Knowledge of the Kenyan excise tax administration is desirable.
OBJECTIVES AND SCOPE
The objective of this assignment is to work at the MoR/Customs in making necessary preparations for the implementation of the new Excise tax law and provision of the required capability building within the MoR and Customs for efficient administration of the law to ensure sustainability including:
- Designing workflows and proposing optimal structure for the efficient administration of the new excise tax proclamation;
- Conducting a quick skill-gap analysis of managers and officers in relation to administration of excise tax and designing training program to up skill them quickly;
- Supporting the MoR & Customs in developing a request for proposal (RfP) and the selection process for the introduction of excise stamps;
- Assisting the MoR & Customs in setting up an excise stamp management system, including the development of processes and procedures;
- Developing implementation guidelines;
- Providing training courses to MoR & Customs officers and assisting them with delivery of training to other officers on excise tax management and the use of excise stamps;
- Providing on-the job practical training to the MoR & Customs officers.
The Advisor will work under the guidance of the Compliance Priority Area Manager and with the TTO Deputy Head. Her/his role will include, but will not limited to, the following:
1. Design workflows and proposing optimal structure for the efficient administration of the new excise tax;
2. Conduct quick skill-gap analysis of managers and officers in relation to administration of excise tax and designing training program to up skill them quickly;
3. Develop excise tax implementation guidelines:
- Filing and payment;
- Risk based audit;
- Inspection – physical and or transactional controls of excisable goods and services;
- Excise stamps administration;
4. Support MoR/Customs in developing a RFP and selection process:
Together with the MoR/Customs officials:
- Draft Request for Proposal Document;
- Assist with the Selection process;
- Assist with the drafting of contract document to be signed by MoR/Customs and the excise stamp printing company;
5. Assist MoR/Customs in setting up an excise stamp management system:
Assist customs in setting up an excise stamp management system, including the following:
- Setting up an excise stamp store;
- Developing an excise stamps recording, distributing, and controlling system;
- Providing guidance to the MoR/Customs officials on monitoring mechanism;
6. Capacity building:
Provide training on excise tax administration, including excise:
- Provide trainers course;
- Support internal trainers on building capacity to excise tax officers;
- Develop and leave behind training materials for future use by the MoR/Customs;
- Provide on-the job practical training to the MoR/CC officers;
- Excise tax training materials prepared;
- Excise stamp financing options developed and submitted to MoR/Customs for decision;
- When approved, RfP, selection process, and contract document prepared for the acquisition of excise stamps;
- Excise stamps management system and excise tax guidelines developed;
- Excise tax training the trainers course delivered;
- Training to excise tax officers conducted by internal trainers assisted by the Advisor;
- A Master’s degree in economics or similar field
- 5-10 years of experience working in tax in international contexts, including other developing contexts
- Demonstrated experience in donor-funded tax transformation/reform programme in other developing countries where revenue is important aspects of the reform;
- Experience in developing the technical capacity of counterparts, including strong mentoring/coaching/training skills, where sustainable knowledge and skills transfer is prioritised;
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to build effective relationships with counterparts and colleagues from a wide range of professional and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and challenging environments;
- Ability to work effectively as a team-player;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
The Advisor is expected to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Up to 6 months starting on February 1, 2020 (tentative), approximately 132 working days.
Candidates are encouraged to as soon as possible, and before January 27th.
For your application to be considered, please upload your documents as followed: Candidate Last Name, First Name, date, Title of the Position.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
With more than 34 years’ experience, Cowater International is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec, Paris, France, Pretoria, South Africa, and London, United Kingdom, Nairobi, Kenya in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.