Organization: Vi Agroforestry
About Vi Agroforestry in Kenya.
Vi Agroforestry (Vi-skogen) is a Swedish development cooperation organisation, fighting poverty and climate change through sustainable agriculture and land management based on agroforestry. We do this together with small-holder farming families and farmers’ organisations in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda. Our head office is in Stockholm Sweden, and a Regional office in Nairobi Kenya.
Vi Agroforestry is currently in a major restructuring and relocation process and is now recruiting for a Farm Manager for its Agroforestry Training Centre (ATC) located in our offices in Kitale.
Main responsibilities of the Roles
The position will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the Agroforestry Training Centre (ATC). He/she will take lead to provide the practical and technical knowledge & skills required for ATC attendants, interns and students. The Officer will collaborate with other staff and stakeholders for exemplary exhibition of best Agroforestry and Sustainable Agriculture Land Management (SALM) practices.
– Facilitate establishment of standard demonstration sites for Agroforestry and Sustainable Agriculture Land Management (SALM) practices & ensure their implementation within the set standards.
– Develop seasonal and routine ATC operation schedules.
– Coordinate the scheduled visits and maintain a calendar of events for the ATC.
– Maintain an updated inventory of the ATC and consistent farm records and reports.
– Develop business plans for each enterprise and initiate income generating projects for the ATC; maintain and monthly cash flow for all the enterprises.
– Coordinate capacity building of ATC attendants, interns, students and visitors.
– Ensure the farm operations are efficiently, effectively and consistently carried out in relation to the work plan, budget and set targets.
– Engage with relevant stakeholders including research and learning institutions and Vi Agroforestry Partner organisations to demonstrate best practices in SALMS and Agroforestry.
– Ensure efficient use of farm inputs and proper accountability of the same.
- You are an environmentalist and have a strong interest in environmental management, agroforestry/ecological agriculture or related fields
- You are a person of high integrity
- Able to meet and deal with others in a courteous and tactful manner
- Ability to foster and maintain a spirit of unity, teamwork, and cooperation
- Result-oriented, self-motivated and innovative
- Able to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced and changing environment
- Motivated to work responsibly with minimal supervision
- Able to cope with stressful situations
- Ability to multi-task with tight deadlines/schedules and attention to details
- Ability to network and collaborate with other actors
- Ability to work independently and as a team as well as high degree of flexibility
Required qualifications and Skills
We are searching for a farm manager with the following qualifications:
- Should be a holder of a diploma in General Agriculture, Agroforestry, Agro ecology or related fields, with a strong interest on conservation and management of the environment.
- 3 years’ experience in a similar role/community extension/supporting smallholder farmers.
- Good knowledge of farm planning
- Good facilitation/training skills
- Business planning skills
- Basic accounts/records keeping.
Apply by uploading your CV and cover letter to IMPACTPOOL no later than Tuesday the 12th of April 2022. Your application documents should be in English.
The employment is a fixed term contract position with a six months’ probation period with a projected start date of 1st June 2022
We look forward to receiving your thoughtful application. Your time in preparing your application is much appreciated, however only appropriately qualified candidates of interest will be contacted.
Vi Agroforestry works actively with diversity and inclusion in the organisation. We welcome applicants regardless of sex, gender identity or expression, race, colour, ethnicity, religious belief, political opinion, national extraction, social origin, HIV/AIDS status, age, disability, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, and/or trade union membership or activities.
For more information:
Name of Recruiting Manager: [email protected]
If you have any technical difficulties uploading the application, please contact IMPACTPOOL.
If you want to alert Vi Agroforestry on suspected discrimination, corruption or other serious misconduct during the recruitment process, do not hesitate to use our whistleblowing system https://viagroforestry.org/about-us/whistle-blowing-system/
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.