Position Title: Field Medical Coordinator (FMC)
Duration: 1 year contract
Base of work: MENTOR base in Bossangoa
The MENTOR Initiative (MENTOR) is a “not for profit”, charitable, non-governmental organization devoted to reducing death and suffering from malaria and other vector borne diseases in humanitarian crises. MENTOR has worked in CAR since 2008, instigating an effective and innovative community healthcare approach.
The Field Medical Coordinator (FMC) is responsible for all the community health aspects of MENTOR’s operational response with emphasis on support to MENTOR supported Community based Healthcare Workers (CHWs) and health posts in the sub districts of Bossangoa and Bouca. Under the technical line management of the FMC (and the Health Program Coordinator, hereafter HPC, based in Bangui), he/she guarantees the quality management of the MENTOR programme in the area and contributes to the impact of the program as per donor agreements and logical frameworks through extensive monitoring and evaluation. The MENTOR program in Bossangoa/Bouca has the objective to improve access to primary health care, Nutrition and WASH, including maternal and child health services in the health districts of Bossangoa and Bouca and aims at implementing a combination of activities ranging from direct support and capacity building, to community participation.
A. Direct program support
- Technical support to health facilities
- In close collaboration with the HPC and the FMC / Training referent, organise and prepare training sessions (initial and refresher) for clinical staff in the supported health facilities. The curricula for these trainings will cover case management of frequent pathologies in the target area including care-taking of referred (severe) cases from the MENTOR supported Community Health Worker network. Elaborate and distribute tools (decision making trees) to facilitate differential diagnosis for the clinical staff. Ensure participation of the District Medical team in training and supervision activities.
- Coordinate and participate in regular supervisory visits to the supported health posts with the specific objective of ensuring the provision of quality care to patients.
- Technical support to CHW network including Female Focal Points
- As required and in close collaboration with the field FMC, assist with the recruitment of new Community Health Workers (CHWs) and eventually also female focal points (FFPs) in the areas of his/her responsibility. This includes identification as well as training, equipping and supervising the CHWs and FFPs.
- With the assistance of a team of nationally recruited programme supervisors and in collaboration with the field FMC, organize and implement onsite technical training and oversee general performance of CHWs and FFPs.
- Supports with the preparation and/or update of training modules for MENTOR medical supervisors, CHWs/FFP, health facility staff and team members from partner agencies as required. Participates in the trainings as required to ensure adequate quality and efficiency.
- Drug supplies
- In close collaboration with the concerned FMC, Logistics Coordinator, responsible for overseeing proper management of the MENTOR stock of drugs and small medical equipment for the targeted health facilities and CHWs in Bossangoa/Bouca districts.
- In close collaboration with the FMC, carry out spot-checks and ensure clear storage and labelling of drugs and medical supplies from different donors sources for accountability purposes.
- In order to avoid stock ruptures at health facility and CHW level, organize for regular supplies of drugs based on consumption records and rational usage of the drugs provided.
- Data Management
- Ensures that Health Facility and CHW-data from all MENTOR Base are collected and correctly entry by data clerk.
- Carries out effective first analysis and review of data to identify areas in need of correction before send to HPC.
- Referral services
In collaboration with the HPC, set up required mechanisms in order to ensure efficient referral mechanisms. In addition to facilitate the physical transport of patients referred by CHWs to the main referral service, according to need (health facility or district hospital). This includes filling in of referral documents to allow for efficient care-taking at referral level, tracing of referred patients and justifiable payment of motor-taxis and hospital ambulance.
Organize for the participation of health facility staff and/or district medical officer in supervisory visits of the MENTOR supported CHW network and health facilities.
Organize for regular internal and external technical meetings to coordinate and follow up on efficiency of referral mechanisms.
- In close collaboration with the FMC ensures that prevention activities are fully integrated, using the MENTOR IEC approach, into the support to health facilities and CHWs. General IEC (provision of sensitization tools at clinic level etc) and LLIN distribution.
- Assist the field FMC with the mapping, preparation and implementation of LLIN distribution campaigns (planned for 2021)
- In close collaboration with the Health Programme Coordinator and the Senior Base Coordinator, organizes Mass Drug Administration campaigns across the areas for which he/she is responsible.
B. Reporting / Proposal writing
Prepare monthly reports on the progress in health facility support activities and relevant indicators for MENTOR line management and the National Health authorities. This includes timely provision and entry of monthly data.
As required, advise and assist the FMC when drafting donor proposals.
Assist the FMC an HPC with technical aspects of writing donor reports so that these are prepared and submitted in a timely manner, as per the grant agreements.
Participate in the elaboration of regular internal situation reports (‘sitreps’) for subjects directly related to his/her responsibilities.
- In close collaboration with the FMC, ensure close collaboration with other health NGOs working in the target areas.
- Represent The MENTOR Initiative at district/regional level medical / technical meetings with the government, NGO partners and donors on the level of community-based health care.
- Collaborate with all stakeholders in the health sector at regional level on the implementation of national policies including cost recovery policy.
- Respect MENTOR’s Security Guidelines and advise the Senior Base Coordinator immediately on security issues encountered.
- Follow and implement all existing financial, administrative and logistical procedures as well any new procedures and guidelines as communicated by the Senior Base Coordinator
- Includes the possibility of transfer to another similar post in another MENTOR country programme within the period of this contract agreement.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Country Director and agreed with the MENTOR Programme Manager at HQ level.
E. Job requirements
- At least 1 year field experience as Field Medical Coordinator or similar position
- Familiarity with NGO working environments and standard procedures
- Solid prior experience working in complicated security contexts an advantage
- Organized and good coordination / management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Fluency in French
- English language skills considered as an advantage
- Team player
- Proven capacity to train others
- Flexible and willing to learn
The Mentor Initiative applies zero tolerance to the exploitation, sexual abuse and mistreatment of women, children and all others, and, mobilizes all its staff in the implementation of its global policy. The Mentor Initiative will contact previous employers of applicants to determine if they have had a history of violating codes of conduct relating to sexual harassment, exploitation or abuse and fraud.
How to apply
CV, letter of motivation and 3 references to be sent to [email protected]
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.