Role & Responsibilities
The Finance Manager oversees the financial activities of both the Poland and Ukraine programmes and carries out the various accounting functions required in order to provide accurate and timely information to donors, GSO, field management and the field teams on the financial status of the programme. This involves organising and further developing the financial processes required for the projects to function effectively as well as managing the finance team, providing coaching and training.
Medair arrived in Poland at the end of February 2022. The Emergency Response team will be providing protection, NFI, and other assistance within Poland as well as providing WASH, Health, NFI/Shelter, and other emergency assistance in parts of Ukraine.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Position will be located in Rzeszów, Poland.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, minimum 2 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Reconciling / verifying bank and cash amounts on a weekly basis.
- Ensuring payments are made in a timely fashion, as well as in line with Medair policies and procedures.
- Ensure prompt entry of all transactions for the programme into Field Connect, reviewing all transactions on a monthly basis.
- Compiling the monthly cash needs forecast for the programme, ensuring that money is transferred between locations in a timely manner and that daily cash needs are met.
- Supporting field bases in financial matters, as required.
- Monitoring project spending on an on-going (monthly) basis, and provide feedback to project teams, and senior management as required.
- Ensure that Medair Finance Procedures are followed in all Country Programme’s offices as part of internal control monitoring.
- Work with Budget holders, senior management and GSO staff in the preparation and development of budgets for projects and shared costs (Base budgets).
- Prepare and manage the country Statutory Audit
- Bank management
- Support the preparation of donor budgets and financial reports within the required time frame.
- Allocate cost’s to donors in line with contracts and donor regulations.
- Prepare for, manage and support internal and external field financial audits, providing all information required by local legislation, donors, GSO or other bodies.
- Support internal and external GSO financial audits as required.
- Meet the finance related administrative requirements of Medair, donors, local legislation, suppliers, banks, contractors and any other stakeholders, so that the financial aspects of the programme function efficiently, effectively and with integrity.
- Work with HR to ensure the preparation of monthly payroll list, payment and record-keeping of staff salaries and / or allowances is done in a timely manner and in accordance with local employment regulations, ensuring that all required statutory deductions are made and subsequently paid to the appropriate authorities.
- Support the GSO Finance Partner (FP) in reporting to donors, providing relevant documents and narrative explanation of any anomalies or discrepancies.
- Manage and oversee the programme finance staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, staff development and training, appraisal, etc. Provide functional supervision to field Finance Officers.
- Develop and maintain a communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of applicable financial activities and requirements, including the distribution of key financial information.
- Control and manage the security of in-country cash when held on site and when being transferred to other account holders.
- Conduct regular internal audits and report immediately any possible fraud or theft.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and GSO prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) completed. University degree in relevant subject desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English and Polish (spoken and written), Polish desirable.
- Relevant professional experience in a financial position for at least three years.
- Experience in a financial supervisory position.
- Overseas experience, preferably working in the NGO finance sector.
- Experience working with institutional donors and representing at national and local levels desirable.
- High numeracy skills. Problem solving ability. Excellent attention to detail. Good document writing skills.
- Able to manage own work and resources in a way that meets time bound objectives.
- Strong organisational skills and the capacity to analyse and prioritise needs.
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style.
- Able to take the initiative in project decisions.
- Able to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
- Able to cope with basic living conditions in the field and during field trips.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.