DRC (Danish Refugee Council)
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
In 2003, following the start of foreign military operations in Iraq, DRC became one of the first organisations to provide humanitarian assistance in the country, and now operates in 11 governorates, including Anbar, Baghdad, Babel, Diyala, Duhok, Erbil, Karbala, Kirkuk, Najaf, Ninewa and Salah-al-Din.
Overall purpose of the role:
To support the Programme Development Manager and the DRC country team to carry out its mission in Iraq through supporting grants compliance and management.
Reporting and Grants Management
- Coordinate external reporting, ensuring high-quality, well-written and timely reports meeting donor and DRC requirements, with support from the technical program coordinators and programme managers.
- Edit and finalize reports and communications materials
- Maintain grant files, including regularly updating DRC’s Grants Management System (DRC Dynamics).
- Maintain the grants and report tracking system to ensure all grant files are organized and well managed for planning and preparation of donor reports and project monitoring
- Coordinate grants management tasks including contract review and signature process, and ensuring adherence to DRC internal compliance tools
- Support the Programme Development Manager in providing timely, thorough responses to information requests from internal and external sources.
- Coordinate concept notes and proposals, as needed. These will be designed in collaboration with programme staff and technical advisors, ensuring adherence to the country, regional and global strategy.
- Ensure communication between all departments (finance, programme and operations) in drafting of narrative proposals and budgets.
- Facilitate grant kick-off, quarterly review and close-out meetings to monitor project progress and ensure donor compliance, operation/programme integration, procurement planning, sharing of lessons learned, etc.
- Support development of communication pieces, press releases and success stories.
- Facilitate communication between HQ, Regional and Country Team offices on grants-related issues.
Direct Support to Field Teams
- Conduct visits to field locations (up to 40% travel expected), to support and oversee the above activities, including proposal development, reporting, grants kick off, closure, and review meetings, and capacity building on various topics
- Regular field visits to project sites in order to better understand DRC’s programming
Area of Focus: Capacity Building
- Develop materials and undertake training for programme and operation staff on grants management and processes to enhance quality within DRC programming. This will include proposal development, reporting and donor compliance.
- Provide one-on-one support on report writing, proposal development, DRC-specific project cycle management and grants-related tools, and other topics, as needed.
Undertake additional duties as assigned by line manager. The position duties are flexible to a degree to allow the candidate to develop skills of his/her choice and may include sectoral knowledge, business development, capacity building and specialization in specific donor rules and regulations. This can be arranged in discussions with the line manager. The candidate must also demonstrate commitment to mainstreaming Age, Gender, and Diversity considerations throughout their work.
The responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
Experience and technical competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, with master’s degree strongly preferred.
- At least two years of NGO field experience in a similar position that includes proposal development, reporting and grants management.
- Knowledge of key donor (UN, EC, USG, DFID, etc.) regulations, procedures and requirements.
- Proven ability to develop quality reports and winning proposals for donors.
- Strong networking, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Excellent organisational skills, with ability to determine priorities and pay attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a multicultural context as a flexible and respectful team player.
- High-level knowledge and practice with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Ability/willingness to work with extremely tight deadlines and multiple tasks.
- Excellent written and spoken English required / Arabic or Kurdish preferred.
- Willingness to follow security policies and procedures.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, with master’s degree strongly preferred.
Languages: English (fluent); Arabic/Kurdish desirable
How To Apply
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the APPLY button.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 2 – November – 2021
Note: Due to urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on rolling basis.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.