ProtectDefenders.eu, the EU Human Rights Defenders Mechanism
ProtectDefenders.eu is seeking to recruit a grants officer for the operation and implementation of a rapid and efficient protection fund for Afghan human rights defenders and civil society organisations. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with experience in Human Rights and Grants, with strong coordination and organisational skills, who will play a crucial role in the successful implementation of the project. It is a new program and role in the organisation and the role may develop and change as it is rolled out. The terms of reference for this position are available for download here.
The grants officer will work under the supervision of the Programme Coordinator and in close cooperation with the relevant ProtectDefenders.eu partners.
Tasks & General Responsibilities of the Grants officer
- Managing the single-entry points for the direct assistance and emergency support to Afghan HRDs at risk as well as for sub-granting and institutional support to Afghan human rights organisations, including screening grants applications received.
- Liaising with partner organisations for the coordination of and follow-up of the grants;
- Managing the recording and tracking of applications and submissions, including through internal database;
- Ensuring that the robust administrative procedures are adhered to.
Analysis & Decision-making
- Applying sound judgment and professional analysis to applications;
- Assessing and verifying incoming applications against the eligibility and admissibility criteria;
- Analysing trends in requests/referrals within socio-political contexts;
- Collaborating with partners throughout the process to ensure timely delivery of support;
- Working collaboratively and flexibly with all staff and external partners using strong problem-solving, and coordination skills.
- Supporting the provision of reports and analysis related to the programme;
- Supporting provision of information on trends, statistics and achieved results for internal and external reports;
- Following up on the grants awarded, monitoring the status of progress of grants and liaising with stakeholders to receive intermediate and final narrative and financial reports;
- Maintaining up-to-date information within related folders and databases.
- Reporting issues faced in the grant allocation system and proactively suggesting solutions;
- Being responsible for the reporting related to grant allocation within the project with the support of the programme coordinator.
This is a junior position requiring at least 2 years of relevant work/internship experience in the area of human rights, social justice, or civil society sector.
- Previous HRDs work is an asset, as experiences working with grant-making programmes.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the needs of human rights defenders at risk.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the political, social, and civil society context in Afghanistan.
- Relevant experience in the field is an asset.
- Experience of working in the environment of a multicultural team and to engage with partners in different countries and working in difficult security environments.
- Excellent organisational and project management skills;
- Excellent political analysis and good judgment;
- Excellent reasoning ability;
- Excellent coordination skills;
- Fluency (written & oral) in English.
- Working knowledge of Pashto / Dari is a strong asset.
- Excellent relationship-building skills.
STARTING DATE & CONDITIONS
- Preferable starting date: ASAP
- Duration and conditions: the candidate will be offered an 18-month contract.
- The Grants Officer will be based in the ProtectDefenders.eu secretariat in Brussels. To have a valid work permit is an asset.
- ProtectDefenders.eu offers a competitive salary package for Brussels based on experience with a starting range for this post at 2,100 euros/gross per month.
- ProtectDefenders.eu also provides work insurance, meal vouchers and monthly local transportation.
- Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, please be aware that the ProtectDefenders.eu staff work from home until further notice.
HOW TO APPLY?
Please send your CV and cover letter (please include information about your availability) before 14 November 2021 by email at [email protected] with the subject: ‘Grants Officer – Your surname’. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will be held via Skype.
Early applications are encouraged, as the position might be filled before the deadline!
Do not forget to mention that you found this job ad on the UNJOBVACANCIES Jobsite!
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.