World University Service of Canada (WUSC)
Position title: Head of Corporate Services
Position location: Ottawa
Reports to: Executive Director (Ottawa)
Application deadline: Sunday March 17, 2019
Nature and Scope of Role:
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Head of Corporate Services is a new position opening at Farm Radio International (FRI). We are seeking a highly organized and collaborative individual who will work closely with the Executive Director and other colleagues to shape the function of this senior leadership position in all its aspects. Based in Ottawa, the Director will maintain regular communication and coordination with colleagues in Canada and overseas, and will be willing to travel overseas as needed.
The Head of Corporate Services has overall responsibility for the development and management of: finances, human resources, risk management, information management and other corporate services.
The Head of Corporate Services directly supervises the Finance Manager in Canada, the Director of Field Operations based in Africa, and the Administration and Finance Officer in Canada.
We seek candidates who are exceptionally strong in financial and organizational management in the not-for-profit sector, particularly in the areas of finance, human resources, planning, risk management, information management and other corporate services.
FRI works from the offices of World University Service of Canada (WUSC), located in Ottawa. WUSC provides FRI with office, corporate finance, HR, and MIS services under the terms of a corporate services contract
- Develop and ensure the implementation of a “best in class” financial management system for FRI
- Strengthen financial management policies and procedures
- Provide direction and oversight to the Financial Manager in developing annual and project budgets, managing cost centres, forecasting and managing cash flow, generating donor reports, and generating management reports
- Serve as lead staff member on the Board’s Finance, Audit and Risk (FAR) Committee, and work with the Treasurer to support the Board in meetings its fiduciary responsibilities and manage risk
- Improve and manage FRI’s system and process for generating management and accountability reports that meet the needs of all internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead FRI’s annual financial statement audit process
- Ensure adherence to FRI policies related to investment, procurement, and the growth of net assets.
- Ensure effective and responsible management of FRI assets
- Liaise with, and monitor delivery of, corporate financial services delivered by WUSC
Human Resources Management:
- Adapt, monitor and ensure adherence to policies and procedures related to human resources and payroll for Canada-based employees
- Liaise with, and monitor delivery of, payroll and benefits administration services provided by WUSC, including access to systems and backups
- Work with the Africa-based Director of Operations to ensure implementation of human resources policies and procedures in African country offices
- Oversee and support talent recruitment and onboarding
- Manage the organizational relationship with the group benefits provider
- Develop and manage system for employee and consultant engagement, including offer letters, job descriptions, contracts
- Strengthen and manage the employee performance management system
- Plan, develop and oversee the delivery of staff development initiatives
- Strengthen and manage FRI’s risk management policies, approach and methods
- Ensure risk management procedures are followed in program development, contracting, project implementation, resource management, accountability, communication, etc.
- Ensure FRI holds appropriate and adequate insurance coverage
- Work with the Director of Operations in Africa to strengthen and manage safety and security policies and procedures
- Generate risk reports for ED, FAR Committee and Board
- Manage legal and compliance issues faced by FRI
- Develop and manage FRI’s business continuity plans
- Liaise with, and monitor the delivery of MIS services by WUSC
- Strengthen the development and administration of FRI’s Google Team Drive system of document management
- Ensure appropriate information management systems are in place, including management and retention of digital and physical back-up and storage of all key documents
- Develop and manage policies and procedures with respect to informational management, internal communication and information sharing
Corporate Services Management:
- Manage the Corporate Services Agreement with WUSC.
- Serve as a member of the Executive Team
- Act as primary advisor to the Executive Director on FRI’s financial, accounting, human resources, risk management, and information management
- Engage, mentor and coach employees to enable successful collaboration to achieve organizational goals
- Share a leadership role in organizational strategic and annual planning, quarterly reviews, institutional evaluations, etc.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Post-secondary degree in management, finance, organizational development, or an acceptable equivalent in education and/or experience
- CPA designation
- 12 plus years’ experience financial, budgeting and administration management
- 7 plus years’ experience at a senior management level in an organization with a record of success in human resources and financial management
- Proven track record of achieving results in a non-profit environment, with demonstrated success in developing policies, procedures and processes, and building systems and tools to support a dynamic, creative, decentralized, results-driven organization
- Excellent managerial and administrative skills with a strong orientation to developing efficient and effective systems with and for staff teams
- Excellent negotiation, communication and conflict management skills
- Ability to provide clear, open and motivational leadership that fosters agency and maximum intrinsic rewards among all colleagues
- Ability to thrive and work effectively in a multicultural, multilingual, dispersed, participative and minimally-hierarchical work environment
- Fluency in English and capacity to communicate effectively in French is essential
About Farm Radio International
Farm Radio International (www.farmradio.org) is a Canadian charity that has been working since 1979 to harness the power of radio to meet the needs of small-scale farmers and rural citizens. We work with more than 720 radio organizations located in 39 African countries to fight poverty and food insecurity. With the benefit of FRI resources and training, our partner radio stations deliver practical, relevant and timely information to tens of millions of farmers. We also work with a range of development partners to implement radio projects that address specific challenges and community needs. These projects are implemented in 11 countries of sub-Saharan Africa. FRI is registered to operate, and has local offices and staff, in seven countries. FRI has 20 staff in Canada and 80-100 in its African countries of operation. A volunteer Board comprising 15 Directors, and an annual budget of $5-6 million governs it. It is recognized by Charity Intelligence as a 4-Star charity and was identified as one of Canada’s top ten international charities by Moneysense magazine.
FRI is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please follow this link to register on WUSC’s candidate database.
Senior Human Resources and Office Management Officer
Chargée des ressources humaines
t: 1.613.761.3685 | e: [email protected]
World University Service of Canada (WUSC)
Entraide universitaire mondiale du Canada (EUMC)
1404 Scott Street, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1Y 4M8
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.