La Chaîne de l'Espoir
ABOUT LA CHAÎNE DE L’ESPOIR
La Chaîne de l’Espoir is an international NGO founded in 1994. Its mission is to strengthen health systems to give everyone, especially children, the same chances of survival and development. Helping the most vulnerable children is more than an ethical obligation, it is a prerequisite for achieving the 2030 goals for children’s health and well-being. We work in 28 countries with a comprehensive approach, focusing on children, mothers and disadvantaged communities:
· Prevention and screening from an early age, particularly through school health programs.
· Care and surgery, to meet the most urgent needs of children and their mothers.
· Strengthening the medical and surgical workforce thanks to our international network of experts.
· Construction and equipment of hospital structures adapted to local needs.
La Chaîne de l’Espoir has been working in Afghanistan since the early 2000s. In 2005, it built the French Medical Institute for Children (FMIC) in Kabul, a non-profit pediatric hospital, to provide high quality surgical care for young patients. Since 2006, the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) has been responsible for the overall management of the FMIC, with La Chaîne de l’Espoir providing medical support and access to the most vulnerable populations.
In 2016, the hospital expanded with the opening of the Mother and Child Unit offering gynecology, obstetrics and neonatology services, becoming the French Medical Institute for Mother and Child (FMIC). Services for adults have also been developed in recent years.
The goal of La Chaîne de l’Espoir is to increase access to quality, medical and surgical care in particular for the most vulnerable afghans. To do so, La Chaîne de l’Espoir:
· Train and support the medical, paramedical and technical teams through short and long term volunteer missions.
· Support the FMIC’s Patient Welfare programme that aims to provide affordable medical and surgical care for vulnerable populations.
· Provide free surgical treatment at FMIC and social care for the most vulnerable children and women coming from all the provinces, including the most remote areas, through the “Women and Children House” (WCH) project.
Given the evolution of the situation in the country, marked by a possible collapse of public services (including in the health sector), in 2022, La Chaîne de l’Espoir plans to continue its support to the most vulnerable Afghan children and women and develop a new project in order to meet the urgent needs of the population in the health sector. It will also increase the support provided to internal displaced people living in information settlements in Kabul
POSITION AND MISSION
As Head of Mission, you oversee the implementation of La Chaîne de l’Espoir strategy on the field and you are responsible of the quality of the overall programming. You manage the team and the work with partners, in close collaboration with La Chaîne de l’Espoir’s headquarters based in Paris. You are responsible for the security of La Chaîne de l’Espoir staff and volunteers, and ensure comprehensive analysis of the surrounding context. You will also be in charge to develop and maintain La Chaîne de l’Espoir network with other health and humanitarian actors, partners, and donors. You will be expected to lead the team and be inspiration for skills development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES
The Head of Mission works closely with the Deputy Head of Mission. Together, they carry out the activities below in liaison with La Chaîne de l’Espoir’s headquarters:
1- Representation and external relations
· Participate in FMIC senior management meetings and in the FMIC quarterly board meetings. Work closely with the FMIC, be it general management, financial and support services, or hospital department heads.
· Ensuring La Chaîne de l’Espoir’s external representation with the FMIC, NGOs and donors present in Afghanistan, humanitarian forums (ACBAR) and other relevant actors;
· Guarantee the visibility of La Chaîne de l’Espoir and its programmes in Afghanistan.
2- Strategy and planning
· Monitor the humanitarian context
· Propose new assessments and interventions
· Actively participate in fundraising
· Ensure programs are designed, implemented, monitored and evaluated
· Supervise and ensure the quality of the programmes implemented
· Support and manage the team
· Participate in the design and approval of new budget proposals for donors
· Preparation of annual budgets and monthly budget follow-up analysis
· Guarantee the quality of budgetary management and financial information reported to headquarters
· Ensure that La Chaîne de l’Espoir and donors logistical and admin procedures are in place and monitored (accounting, budgets, treasury, purchasing, HR, inventory, etc.)
5- Human Resources
· Lead, coach and guide the expatriate and national team together with the deputy head of mission.
· Conduct regular meetings with La Chaîne de l’Espoir management team
· Establish a good worklife balance and support the team (listen, motivate, empower, supervise the people under its responsibility)
· Ensure that La Chaîne de l’Espoir’s HR management and policies are complying with legal requirements
· Performance appraisals and objectives setting in line with program requirements.
· Regular reporting to the programme coordinator at the headquarters
· Narrative and financial reporting to donors (private and institutional donors).
· Ensure the safety and security of La Chaîne de l’Espoir employees and volunteers
· Monitor the security situation
· Ensure the compliance to security regulations of all La Chaîne de l’Espoir’s collaborators in Afghanistan
· Liaising with The International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) and the FMIC security management update the security plan and write or update the SOPs.
· Master degree in Political Science, International Relations, Administration and Finance or any relevant field
At least 5 years working experience in the humanitarian sector in managerial position are required.
Experience in Afghanistan is an asset
Experience in security management is desirable.
PERSONAL QUALITIES AND SKILLS
· Excellent knowledge of project management cycle
· Strong leadership
· Ability to deal with stressful situations.
· Autonomous, resilient and diplomatic
· Rigor, analysis and synthesis skills
· Problem solver and negotiations skills
· Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills
· French and English required. Dari/ Farsi is a plus
· 12 months contract, renewable.
· Full time position, based in Kabul
· Salary: according to profile and experience
· Starting date: February 1rst, 2022
Transportation, Accommodation and Meals:
· Transportation to and from the workplace is provided.
· Single room in collective accommodation provided.
· Meals are provided for at the guesthouse or at the office during week days.
Holidays and R&R:
· 2 days of leave per completed month + 6 days of RNR every 8 weeks (=15 days every 2 months, travel days included).
Security context and local life:
· The security situation in Kabul remains unstable. The Head of Mission works and lives on the site of the French hospital, located in the south of the city in a large tree-covered site (far from the green zone and diplomatic area).
· Comfortable accommodation, with access to an outdoor space and sport facilities. Involves living in community (with other permanent expatriates and doctors who regularly come on missions) and respecting strict security rules.
· Travel to the city is allowed only for business purposes, subject to the approval of the FMIC and/or La Chaîne de l’Espoir.
How to apply
Cover letter and a CV with at least two references should be addressed to La Chaîne de l’Espoir recruitment team with the subject : « Recruitment CDE – HOM Kabul »
Deadline for application : 14/12/2021
Contact : [email protected]
Only shortlisted candidates who will meet the job/personal requirements will be notified.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.