Role & Responsibilities
Provide technical advice and support to the field management and the health staff. Responsible to develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the health aspects of the country programme. Coordination at a senior level, with national and regional health authorities as well as other NGOs. Lead on all health (including mental health and psychosocial elements of proposals and reports, providing capacity building for national and international staff, promote best practice in the health programmes and contribute to the overall management of the country programme.
Medair is currently implementing four projects within South Sudan. Medair is providing emergency primary health care based on the basic package of health services to vulnerable host and displaced populations in Renk County. Health facilities were established by Medair on an emergency basis, but due to protracted needs they have become more established facilities working towards full implementation of primary health care and integrated nutrition services. Medair has health and nutrition projects implementing CMAM alongside targeted health services in Aweil and Leer Counties, in addition to a mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) project in Leer County. Medair also maintains health and nutrition emergency response teams that are able to respond rapidly to any health or nutrition emergency in any area of South Sudan.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan with frequent travel to the field locations. Working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Health Project Technical Oversight
- Maintain an overview of the country health programmes and of the regional context, with a view to strategically developing new projects in current sites and/or surrounding regions, and proactively planning for responsible exit.
- Give technical advice to field managers and GSO on potential involvement in new health and interventions and internal capacity for implementation.
- Define policies, guidelines and protocols for the medical aspects of Medair’s work in country.
- Provide technical support to the health teams in all project sites, including the evaluation and impact analysis of current projects and the writing of donor proposals and reports.
- Carry out regular monitoring visits, ensuring that project objectives are met within the stated timeframes and in accordance with recognised international standards.
- Supervise and monitor the development of reporting systems for health data collection, analysis and follow-up and feedback to relevant staff, donors, partners and other agencies.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Ministry of Health, UN, NGOs, donors, partners, etc, with the objective of raising public awareness of Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
Be involved in the recruitment of health and staff for the country programme, providing advice on technical skills and experience as requested.
Ensure that all health staff is adequately trained and, if necessary, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching, within budget constraints.
Support line managers in inductions and appraisals of health staff.
- Work with the relevant field managers and GSO staff to plan and construct health budgets.
- Ensure health projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations to HQ advisors as well as field staff on the quality of health programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
- Overall responsibility for staff health/occupational health procedures and compliance and development of procedures in-country.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Clinical degree (nurse or doctor), or Public Health degree. Clinical degree with Public Health degree strongly preferred. Medical doctor. Degree in Tropical Medicine.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- At least 3 years’ experience in managing programmes in international public health work, with at least 1 year in humanitarian emergency context.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of public health programmes.
- Computer literate with strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and CHS Standards.
- Good report and proposal writing skills. Good negotiation skills. Excellent communication skills.
- Committed to team-building and able to develop and support other team members.
- Advanced leadership and project management skills.
- Committed to consultative and servant leadership.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
How to apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.