The Humanitarian Interagency Cooperation Specialist (HICS) is located in the Inter-agency and External Coordination Unit (IECU), Humanitarian Office, Geneva. S/He reports directly to the Head of Unit. The incumbent supports the Fund’s initiatives in global advocacy and partnership, representing UNFPA in interagency humanitarian mechanisms and advancing institutional coordination efforts.
How You Can Make a Difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young’s person potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan 2022-2025, focuses on three transformative results: the reduction in the unmet need for family planning has accelerated; the reduction of preventable maternal deaths has accelerated; the reduction in gender-based violence and harmful practices has accelerated.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results. We need staff who are transparent and exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) Programme of Action placed women’s rights, empowerment and health at the centre of development efforts. It also affirmed the rights to sexual and reproductive health and the rights to live free of sexual and other forms of gender-based violence apply to all people at all times, including populations affected by or recovering from emergencies. Multiple international agreements and conventions, special sessions of the General Assembly and Security Council Resolutions reaffirm these rights and the central role of women in peace-building efforts and post-conflict reconstruction. Implementing UNFPA mandate in emergency settings helps to ensure these rights are met, and decreases the risk of maternal and infant mortality and morbidity, HIV infection, unwanted pregnancy, sexual violence and exploitation and other forms of reproductive health-related conditions.
Given the need to better mainstream emergency preparedness and humanitarian response, also taking into account the Agenda 2030 and SDGs and the World Humanitarian Summit’s Grand Bargain and the New Way of Working commitments, emphasizing leadership, coordination and accountability to affected populations, the Specialist will support the Fund’s initiatives in global advocacy, engagement and partnership within the IASC structures, including representing UNFPA in interagency humanitarian mechanisms and task forces; and supporting institutional coordination efforts at global level humanitarian appeals
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree in social sciences, humanities, public health, social work; combined with experience in disaster preparedness and emergency responses; specialized area of study in SRH and/or GBV in emergency situations is an asset.
Knowledge and Experience:
• 7 years’ relevant experience working in humanitarian environments and emergency response and providing advisory and technical support in the area of crisis response, UN coordination and in supporting UN inter-agency processes;
• Experience in disaster preparedness and emergency response; specialized experiences in SRH and/or GBV in emergency situations preferred;
• Familiarity with IASC and other humanitarian coordination mechanisms, guiding principles and standards as well as the UN Humanitarian Reform process;
• Knowledge of the ICPD and other global conferences and the 2030 agenda;
• Extensive experience in country and sub-national level inter-agency coordination preferred;
• Hands-on experience in the operational aspects of the HPC at country level is a distinctive asset;
• Strong analytical and written skills;
• Solid interpersonal and communication skills.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
UNFPA – United Nations Population Fund
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.