University of Alaska
Apply now Job no:518403
Classification:Administrative Specialist 2
Work type:Staff Full-time
Administrative Unit:University of Alaska Fairbanks
School/Business unit:UAF Institute of Arctic Biology
Categories:Administrative/Personnel, Human Resources, Office/Clerical
- Possess the ability to manage and lead in a specialized administrative area and effectively communicate with diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and apply University, federal, and state regulations in payroll and human resources functions.
- Knowledge of payroll and personnel procedures and the ability to decipher and apply regulations.
- Knowledge of electronic spreadsheets, databases, and word processing applications.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to self-direct training to address diverse HR matters.
- Ability to manage and facilitate all aspects of the recruitment processes including advertising, assisting with candidate evaluation, screening applications, and referral(s).
- Ability to research and provide advice on issues related to employee and labor relations.
- Skills to analyze and manage data; prepare reports as directed by the IAB Management Team.
- Ability to serve as a liaison between senior management and faculty, staff, and students.
- Ability to provide support for compensation and benefits programs including monitoring family medical leave timelines/schedules.
- Experience providing training to, and acting as a liaison for, unit personnel requiring human resource/payroll technical assistance/guidance.
- Must communicate effectively verbally and in writing and have excellent interpersonal skills.
Preferred: Working knowledge of UA Personnel/Human Resources policies, procedures, practices, as well as State of Alaska and Federal regulations (i.e. EO, ADA, FMLA, FLSA, Workman’s compensation). Knowledge of collective bargaining agreements. Knowledge of international visa requirements and procedures. Proficient knowledge of interfacing software, including knowledge of reports and querying of data. Previous work experience with Banner HR or other automated HR information systems, preferred.
Preferred: Professional Human Resources Certification and/or training in mediation. Experience in an environment related to research or a sciences field.
Required Education and Experience:
Associate’s degree preferably in Human Resources Administration, Public Affairs, Psychology, Sociology, or another relevant field of study and two years of experience in HR position and/or an equivalent combination of office management training and experience, and two years progressively responsible experience related to Human Resources, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
As a public, regional, comprehensive university, UAF is committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive organization and strongly encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
UAF COVID Requirements
Effective immediately, all new UAF hires, whose job function or work location results in the employee being subject to the UAF vaccine requirements guided by the Federal Contractor Employee vaccine mandate*, must be fully vaccinated with an FDA- or WHO- authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine or have obtained a university-approved disability/medical or religious exemption by January 18, 2022, or before their start date if after January 18, 2022.
*Employees based on UAF’s Troth Yeddha’ (Fairbanks) campus, regardless of university affiliation and remote work status; Employees based in UAF research units outside Fairbanks (including Seward Marine Center, Kodiak Seafood and Marine Science Center, HAARP, Poker Flat, Lena Point, and Toolik Field Station); and Employees, regardless of their work location, paid by or directly working on impacted UAF federal contracts.
To ensure consideration, please apply prior to the review date.
To apply for this position, please provide a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references with your application. Please submit your application no later than 12/6/2021 at 11:55 PM Alaska Time. The review of this posting will start on 12/7/2021. This posting will be closed once it is filled.
To be eligible for this position, applicants must be legally authorized for unrestricted employment in the United States. No work visas will be sponsored for this position.
If you need assistance applying to this posting, please contact GI – Office of Human Resources at 907-474-6498.
Applicants needing a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application and screening process should contact the UA Human Resources office at 907-450-8200.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Pursuant to University Regulation 04.07.020, new employees of the University are employed in an at-will probationary status for the first six months of employment. During the probationary period, employment may be terminated for no reason or any reason. Promoted employees also serve a probationary period with limited rights of retreat.
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact GI HR at 907-474-6498.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.