World Food Programme, Ethiopia
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill a consultancy position of Monitoring and Evaluation Officer (International Consultant), based in WFP Ethiopia Jijiga Area Office.
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Head of Area Office, Jijiga and technical guidance from the Head of VAM & M&E, within the delegated authority, the Programme Policy Officer, Monitoring & Evaluation, you will help us discover the information hidden in vast amounts of data, and help us make smarter decisions to become even more effective at serving our beneficiaries.
The Programme Policy Officer, Monitoring & Evaluation will be responsible for managing and supervising the Monitoring & Evaluation function and the technical team at the Area Office Level.
To provide support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs.
Key Accountabilities :
Monitoring planning, guidance, and implementation:
- Manage, coordinate planning and implementation of monitoring activities, including, Third Party Monitoring, in consultation with Heads of Sub-offices, ensuring optimum utilization of resources in the achievement of minimum monitoring coverage required for WFP operations/activities in the Somali region.
- Contribute to the design, management and implementation of the M&E toolkit (process monitoring checklists, project baselines, distribution & post distribution monitoring and output reporting, SoPs).
- Follow up on monitoring and review findings to ensure corrective actions are taken as required.
- Ensure links with the Beneficiary Feedback and complaints mechanism platform “SUGAR” system.
- Compile and disseminate regular analytical monitoring reports based on quantitative and qualitative analysis of information collected in the field (Cooperating Partner reports, Situation Reports, monitoring visits) to inform Programme and Management decision making.
- Provide guidance and participate in the preparation of training modules in M&E and periodic training of WFP Field Monitors, Cooperating Partners’ staff, third party monitoring staff and their supervisors.
- Undertake periodic visits to the Sub-Offices/Field Offices to ensure that M&E guidelines are being implemented and provide any required on-site technical support.
- Lead reviews and lessons learnt exercises among the partners and stakeholders including the targeted communities and beneficiaries.
- Lead Post-distribution monitoring, Outcome monitoring, baseline and evaluation activities at the AO level.
Coordination of Evaluation and review activities at the AO level:
- In liaison with the CO Evaluation manager, support in managing & coordinating Area Office evaluation activities in line with WFP’s decentralized evaluation framework, e.g. developing ToRs, carrying out quality control of reviews and evaluations, supporting preparation of evaluation missions, coordination with stakeholders etc;
- Organize and lead dissemination exercises of lessons learned among the partners and stakeholders including the targeted communities and beneficiaries;
- Liaise with the Country office for updates on guidelines on reviews, decentralized and Centralized, evaluations including the methodology designs adapted for the evaluations, as suited to local context.
Information Management and Reporting:
- Ensure that the Monitoring Database systems are functional and effectively utilized and all required enhancements are undertaken promptly;
- Ensure data collection using the M&E toolkits and exercise oversight of the data collection by enumerators and use of mobile data collections tools;
- Oversee development and management of monitoring and reporting including the preparation of the annual Corporate Report (ACR) and other periodic reports requested for by Country Office Units for varying purposes including meeting the donor needs;
- Ensure the monthly production of M&E dashboard properly annotated to guide management on the project status and decision making;
- Play an active role in the preparation of the Annual Performance Plan (APP) and its review for the Programme Unit;
- Support the roll out of the IRM especially, the Country Strategic Plan (CSP) and Corporate Results Framework (CRF).
- Support the documentations of lessons learned, success stories and best practices for dissemination with partners, donors and targeted communities and beneficiaries.
- Perform other duties as required
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.Perform other duties as required
Standard Minimum Qualifications:
- Advanced University Degree and/or equivalent experience with emphasis in one or more of the following disciplines: political sciences, public health, economics, agriculture, international affairs, social sciences, development studies, or a field relevant to international development assistance.
- At least 5 years working experience focusing on M&E. Experience in WFP specific programmatic areas such as Relief and emergency operations, social protection and resilience strengthening activities, refugees, VAM, etc is an added advantage. Experience in both development and humanitarian contexts is an added advantage.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong knowledge of results-based management principles and practices and WFP’s corporate accountability frameworks; Proven knowledge, abilities and skills in the areas of Monitoring and Evaluation; In-depth knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methods, metrics, statistical applications, and reporting systems; Create/use digital media and data visualization platforms, particularly Tableau; Create data mock-ups with an understanding of data visualization and data structures. Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.; Development and maintenance of monitoring database
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English.
- Working knowledge of the UN languages is desirable. Excellent writing skills.
15th May, 2022
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.