Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. In 15 years, we have raised more than $1.4 billion in loan capital for 3.5 million borrowers in 83 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva’s team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
Kiva’s Impact Investments team works with partners and borrowers from all over the world, who post profiles for fundraising onto the Kiva website. The team is responsible for sourcing, monitoring and managing relationships with these partners and borrowers, onboarding and training new partners, and ensuring that all funding relationships are compliant with Kiva’s policies and are aligned with Kiva’s social mission and strategic focus. The Impact Investments team includes staff based in the US, Colombia, Kenya, and Thailand, who manage Kiva’s investment relationships in every region of the world. We are looking for a talented and highly motivated professional to join our team.
This Investment Manager role will be responsible for sourcing, developing, and supporting Kiva’s partnership-based impact investments, with a focus on countries in Europe & Central Asia. In addition to prospecting and due diligence of new investments, this role onboards, trains, and facilitates support for partners to ensure compliance with Kiva’s policies and the effective and efficient use of Kiva’s systems. The ideal candidate is a flexible and positive team player who is passionate about Kiva’s mission and is able to design creative solutions to challenging problems. This role will be based in Bangkok, Thailand and will report to the Director of Investments.
● Relationship Management — Develop strong relationships with potential and existing partners.
● Investment Monitoring — In collaboration with team members, monitor assigned Investments (both remotely and in person), including repayments, financial performance, social performance, and compliance with Kiva policies and covenants, and adjust access to Kiva funding as necessary.
● Business Development — Develop a network to source and recruit new impact investments, with an emphasis on achieving impact at scale. Screen potential investments and review applications.
● Due Diligence — Conduct desk and on-site due diligence of potential Investments to assess prospects’ financial and social performance, and mission fit with Kiva. Present potential Investments for approval by the Investment Committee.
● Deal Structuring — Participate in negotiations on Investment terms and conditions with the goal of maximizing impact at scale while ensuring Kiva remains efficient and sustainable.
● Technical and Operational Support — Assist in onboarding newly Invested Partners, act as liaison, communicate Kiva policy to these Partners and update Kiva stakeholders on new developments and/or issues. Resolve issues faced by the Partners, such as trouble accessing tools provided by Kiva.
● Manage Volunteers — Oversee field-based Kiva Fellows, by assisting with training, and by providing direction, supervision and support throughout the Fellow’s placement.
● Country/Region Expertise — Provide Kiva with expert guidance on local market conditions in key markets where Kiva manages significant Investment volume.
● Strategic Partnerships — Manage active relationships with other funders of assigned Investment Partners; seek out co-investment opportunities where possible.
● Documentation — Support drafting and review of transaction documentation of new Investments with the legal department.
Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years of work experience in Investment Management, Finance, International Business, Economic Development, or related role.
● Technical experience with lending/investing in private companies, including financial statement analysis.
● Experience investing in, or working professionally in, countries in Europe & Central Asia.
● Flexible and willing to adjust schedules in order to work across varying time zones.
● Able to travel 20% of the time and to adapt to the various work environments travel presents.
● Effective while working remotely.
● Strong communication skills, including the ability to tailor communications to a wide variety of audiences and stakeholders, across multiple cultures.
● Ability to network extensively and manage relationships effectively.
● Ability to manage time well and prioritize across competing tasks.
● Tech savvy. Proficient in office software and adept at learning and using technology platforms.
● Professional fluency in Russian and/or other regional languages.
● Advanced degree.
● Investment experience in the financial inclusion industry.
What we offer:
● An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
● Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
● A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- ● Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on unjobvacancies.com
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.