Room to Read
Literacy Program Officer
Room to Read
Luang Prabang, Lao, People’s Democratic Republic (Laos)
The Literacy Programme Officer (LPO) is responsible for serving as the technical expert in the field on literacy skills and the habit of reading, and managing the ongoing implementation of the Literacy program for a set of schools, ensuring timely, efficient and well-planned, well-coordinated implementation. This position will involve frequent travel to project sites, and close coordination with local partners, thus requires strong communication and coordination skills. The LPO reports to the Sr. LP Manager, and manages a set of Literacy Facilitators.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Program Management, Implementation, Training, Monitoring and Coordination:
- Responsible for managing the ongoing implementation of the Literacy program for a set of schools, ensuring timely, efficient and well-coordinated implementation;
- Serves as the technical expert in the field on literacy skills and the habit of reading, and coordinates closely with the IDTS Unit to ensure they are successfully implementing the program design and able to provide feedback on how well it is working;
- Responsible for technical oversight and manage Literacy Facilitators, this include regular visits to project sites to support, coach and deliver trainings to the Literacy Facilitators;
- Coordinate, conduct/facilitate training workshops for teachers, librarians and principals on activities promoting literacy and library development;
- Assesses quality of training design and delivery and suggests improvements;
- Prepares cash advance, settlement, and reimbursement for program activities;
- Participates in any other activities which may be required to be undertaken to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
Planning, Reporting and Documentation:
- Provides information/feedback on quality reading materials used in classrooms and libraries to the Literacy Programme Manager to assist in planning, development/revision of curriculum and reading materials for Literacy Program;
- Documents best practices and lessons learned during field work and shares with relevant Literacy program staff;
- Prepare annual, quarterly, monthly, planning/budget and reporting for the assigned schools;
- External Coordination and Networking;
- Represents Room to Read in different forums and advocates for the importance of reading and need for libraries for children.
- Bachelor Degree in Education, Social development, or other related field;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of teaching methodologies, curriculum and teacher training at the primary stage;
- 3 – 5 years of relevant work experience;
- Good command of English (both written and oral);
- Experience developing and delivering teacher trainings;
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player;
- Proven ability to build the capacity of others to achieve desired outcomes;
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people;
- Ability and desire to travel frequently;
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Master Degree in Education or related field;
- Experience teaching at the primary stage;
- Experience working with rural communities;
- Experience in library management;
- Effectiveness in working or volunteering in a non-profit organization that is focused on maintaining high quality work and low overhead;
- Prior track record of achieving results in a fast-paced, growth-oriented global or regional organization.
Don’t forget to mention unjobvacancies.com when applying.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.