Mercy Hands for Humanitarian Aid (MH) is a leading Iraqi NGO, founded in 2004 with a goal to save lives and preserve human dignity. Mercy Hands’ headquarters is in Baghdad, which manages all programs in center and south of Iraq, and one mission office in Erbil, which manages all programs in north of Iraq and north east of Syria (NINES). Mercy Hands is currently active in the following humanitarian sectors: livelihood, food security, logistics, WASH, population monitoring and assessments, protection, education, health and community development. For more information, please visit Mercy Hands website: www.mercyhands.org
Mercy Hands is implementing a livelihood project in Khanaqeen District, Diyala Governorate, in partnership with UNDP, and is looking for a program manager for the poject.
Job Location and Duration
Mercy Hands’ Office in Khanaqeen, Diyala Governorate
1 year, renewable.
Full time, 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.
Gross salary is $1600 per month (pre- health insurance and social security deductions) .
Other Employment Benefits
For Expats, there will be the following fringe benefits:
- Residence, including utilities and internet;
- Driver after working hours and during holidays and weekends;
- Phone cards;
- Gym membership;
- Mercy Hands will cover social security, income tax, and health insurance;
- Reimbursement of the airfare ticket when arriving to the country and airfare ticket when departing the country at the end of the contract;
- $1500 annual allowance for airfare tickets;
- 30 days annual leave; plus sick and maternity leaves;
- Mercy Hands will be responsible for obtaining and renewing the visa and all related expenses
- Provide strategic leadership in the development, planning and implementation of the project.
- Define intervention priorities and strategies in line with the project ToR.
- Regular monitoring of the context dynamics and adapt the intervention and implementation modalities accordingly.
- Take overall program management leadership and ensure team implement project activities within approved plans, budget, and quality standards.
- Facilitate project review meetings and ensure documentation of findings and recommendations.
- Monitor risks and develop contingency plans to respond to emergencies.
- Ensure that cross-cutting issues like gender, safeguarding, environment are integrated in project designs and implementation plans.
- Ensure that implementation of project activities is in line with the best practice standards of Mercy Hands, UNDP, and other humanitarian and development standards.
- Create a conducive working environment for the staff to carry out their daily activities.
- Recruit and manage staff in line with Mercy Hands policies, including performance management, ensuring that they have the necessary induction, training and support as required.
- Support Livelihood Programs Director, Regional Coordinators, and other senior managers to design, implement, monitor and report on Mercy Hands programs.
- Coaching and mentoring of staff to support the development of their capacity.
- Support the uptake and ensure staff accountability on Mercy Hands code of conduct and values.
Coordination & Representation
- Represent Mercy Hands to local and national government, donors, UN agencies as appropriate, maintaining Mercy Hands’ credibility & image.
- Coordinate and maintain close working relationships where relevant with government departments in overall implementation of project activities. This will include regular meetings with line departments to agree on work plans, technical assessments, developing technical designs, etc.
- Work closely with Mercy Hands technical team to ensure the project is implemented in line with Mercy Hands quality standards.
- Write narrative reports and review financial reports, and ensure they meet Mercy Hands’ and UNDP’s requirements;
- Review and ensure that budget is drawn up for all activities, and that activities costs are kept within budgets.
- Write and submit monthly situation reports to update Mercy Hands management on project progress achieved, project plans, changes in direction and challenges encountered.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in managing similar livelihood projects in Iraq. Provide reference to experience of working in the target locations of the TOR.
- Proven knowledge and experience in results-based management.
- Experience in leading field-based livelihoods assessments.
- Experience in coordination/working with government, NGOs, UN, private sector and local organizations.
- Proven ability in staff, donor, contract and budget management
- A minimum Undergraduate University Degree in business management, sociology, rural development, economics, development studies, peace and conflict studies or related fields;
- Proficiency in English-language is required; knowledge of Arabic desirable;
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly and with impartiality.
- Good communication skills including the ability to write concise and analytical reports in English;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Flexible and responsive to changes and unexpected demands upon a time;
- Ability to work with people from different backgrounds to deliver quality products within a short timeframe; and
- Client-oriented and open to feedback
How to apply
Send your CV and Letter of Intention via e-mail to [email protected] with the subject field stating: Livelihood Program Manager Application.
Because the project is in Khanaqeen, Diyala governorate, the priority will be given to applicants from Diyala governorate or willing to relocate there.
Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
Mercy Hands is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to their gender, ethnic, or religious background.
Mercy Hands is an equal pay employer. At Mercy Hands, women and men receive equal pay if they perform equal work in the same workplace.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.