Role & Responsibilities
Oversee the provision of the logistical support for the programme. The Logistics Manager is responsible for ensuring an effective supply chain is in place at all times, and that standard logistics and related administrative systems are established and implemented within Medair country programmes. The role provides strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of logistics, ensuring relevant information; reporting and accountability requirements are met. The Logistics Manager also plays an important role in external representation, legal compliance, team leadership and capacity building of logistics staff.
Multi-sector relief and rehabilitation programme including: provision of primary and emergency health care, water and sanitation, and non-food items and emergency shelter to assist in reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable populations of South Sudan.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Juba, South Sudan. Working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
January 2022. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Logistics Management – Supply chain
- Ensure proper supply chain management practices and procedures are in place and maintained. To include sourcing and procurement, warehousing, transportation and management of logistics resources in fleet, equipment and facilities.
- Share information on the assessments and proposed interventions, provide overviews of logistics requirements for the development of project proposals and subsequent projects. Engage with key staff to ensure project planning and budgeting incorporates adequate funding for logistics capacity and resources.
- Manage the procurement process in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Provide planning support and advice to project managers and others making procurement requests, identify optimum supply routes, and maintain continuous overview of supply needs by providing updated procurement and fulfilment plans. Ensure that local market surveys are regularly carried out, to ensure a full knowledge of the availability and price of local items.
- Locate and negotiate contracting for storage/warehousing that is secure, well-maintained, and meets health and safe working practice requirements. Oversee warehouse operations ensuring proper record keeping for the receipt, storage and issuing of items, physical inventory checks, storage conditions, security and facility maintenance. Conduct periodic ‘spot checks’ and put systems in place to increase stock reliability and reduce shrinkage through damage, loss or theft.
- Ensure transportation of freight by land, sea and air; ensuring the most cost effective and reliable means of transport is used for the timely delivery of supplies to projects. Capture pipeline information, and coordinate the management of the supply chain ensuring regular transmission of order status, stock levels and shipment status to project and logistics staff.
- Maintain accurate filing systems, with documented and supported records of logistics transactions for audit purposes, and submit logistics reports to the in-country management team, and GSO logistics pursuant with Medair policies.
Logistics Management – Resources
- Ensure the management of vehicle fleets is in line with Medair standards; ensure appropriate allocation and safe use of vehicles throughout the programme and ensure servicing and maintenance schedules are adhered to.
- Supervise all types of equipment and assets including communication, IT and power, to ensure that equipment are managed diligently, operated in the most cost efficient manner. Management of equipment will include procurement, registration, allocation, tracking, maintenance, repair, replacement, reporting, and training, authorisation, supervision and co-ordination to ensure optimum availability, & accountability. Ensure usage of fuel is correctly supervised, and recorded.
- Support the proper management of existing field bases, establishment of new ones and closing of existing. Liaise with the landlord(s) to ensure proper maintenance and optimum availability of facilities and utilities. Implement and update logistics aspects of security plan to ensure resources and facilities are ready at all times for either hibernation or evacuation.
- Represent Medair in a positive and professional manner contributing to the continuation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of Medair’s mandate, ethics and values.
- Proactively engage with suppliers, partners, local authorities, other NGOs, clusters and any other stakeholders, in order to plan, organize, and schedule distribution of goods and material.
- Compile and validate the logistics component of all base and project budgets.
- Ensure good communication and cooperation between the Logistics and Finance departments.
- Ensure Logistics staff are well aware of and adhere to applicable Finance procedures.
- Manage staff with integrity and foresight, to ensure that they maintain the highest standards of accountability and professionalism. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, performance review, producing development plans, determination of training needs, establishing and monitoring work plans, etc.
- Ensure that all logistics and programme staff are adequately trained and create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching. Provide cross training to project managers and other staff on warehouse and supply chain procedures.
- Promote and use the Medair file storing and sharing systems, ensuring that all guidelines are used.
- Develop and implement systems to improve transparency. Ensure adequate anti-fraud procedures are in place to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work.
- Ensure projects are supported in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards, WHO recommendations, etc.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and roll-out of the Logs related modules of D365 in the South Sudan Country Programme, in consultation with the Medair global D365 project team.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Professional qualification in logistics/ training in Supply Chain Management, Business Management/ related field.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Minimum 4 years relevant logistics and management experience in emergency and/or development context.
- Experience of budget management and the ability to prepare timely, complete and accurate financial reports.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferably in the logistics sector.
- Demonstrable knowledge of rules, regulations and donor policies governing the compliance/regulatory management of procurement rules from US, EU, UN and other agencies.
- Ability to communicate effectively with programme teams and be able to represent Medair with UN organisations, other international NGO’s and local authorities world-wide. Technical understanding of mechanical equipment.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Capacity to work under pressure & tight deadlines. Diplomatic, especially for working with authorities & suppliers.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.
How to apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.