1. DESCRIPTION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
Reporting to the Programme Director based at EF headquarters in Paris, the MEAL Expert will work in conjunction with the programme team, which includes:
A “headquarters” based coordination unit located in Paris (Programme Director, Administration and Finance Manager, Project Manager, Project Assistant, etc.)
Three Regional “field” coordinators based in 1) the Caribbean, 2) the Pacific, and in 3) Paris.
Other thematic experts focusing on the Programme’s priority themes and issues (Energy, Resilience and Communication). These positions will ideally be based in and or near Paris, so as to allow for regular meetings and in person exchanges, however remote working from abroad or from an off-site location will occur on a regular basis.
The MEAL expert will provide her/his support and expert assistance by developing and then implementing an integrated MEAL framework focusing on building the capacity of relevant Programme staff and Programme partners. She /he will also be called upon to participate in fostering and supporting a culture of shared learning and accountability, and promoting innovation within the Programme ecosystem.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:**
MEAL strategy, a theory of change and tools design and conception: **
· Design a theory of change for the Programme;
· Design and implement a sound and adapted-to-context MEAL strategy (based on an assessment of partners’ capacities and practices) and operational guidance, for results-oriented and quality programming;**
· Identify the needed analytics for monitoring Programme effectiveness, impact and efficiency and other reporting purposes;**
· Advise the Programme Director and Regional Coordinators on MEAL solutions/options in the design of resourcing and budgeting, and priorities for the Programme;**
· Execute the development of MEAL systems, including procedures, guidelines for data collection, tools and indicators in coordination with all partners and ensure that all users have operational access to MEAL-related systems and products.**
Baseline, data and information management:
· Set up a data collection system and data analysis and visualisation to easily consolidate and manage MEAL data, ensuring that they are age/gender sensitive (when relevant);Assist in data quality assurance and managing data according to internal and other relevant standards;
· Produce regular reports that present and analyse the information collected and ensure their integration in programmatic management;
· Support the implementation, dissemination and use of evaluations and assessments; and also in monitoring data in Programme development, adjustment, or review.
· Where possible, carry out field visits of the implementation sites to assess the local context, to learn about projects and the Programme initiatives, ensure technical and operational compliance with MEAL systems and methodologies, and where needed, provide support to the field teams;
· Design a complaint and feedback mechanism intended for beneficiaries.
Support to Programme staff and stakeholders:
· Participate actively in supporting the Programme Director and Regional Coordinators, in Programme design and proposal discussions, including theory of change development and log frame design;
· Promote the principles and practices of beneficiary accountability to staff through capacity building, training and support to Programme team or staff/beneficiaries on MEAL technical and conceptual areas;
· Ensure effective communication and knowledge sharing between stakeholders of the Programme on related matters;
· Participate in regular project review exercises and Cluster technical working group meetings;
· In conjunction with the Programme Coordinators, ensure that each project/grant has a survey and assessment plan in place and that this is included in all proposals and implementation plans;
· Lead the implementation of lessons learned workshops or sessions during key phases of the project;
· Lead the Programme team to undertake internal end of project reviews, and external evaluations and provide feedback to the Programme Director and Technical Experts (Energy /Resilience);
· Support the Programme Director and the Programme team in the preparation of donor reports to ensure compliance with key Programme indicators and objectives;
· Contribute to organisational learning through supporting specific analysis and production of written and oral reports and presentations.
Coordination and Representation:
Represent the Programme and Expertise France with regard to authorities, institutional donors and partners;
Coordinate effectively and systematically with other subject-matter experts, participate in regional and global initiatives, and share knowledge and innovation findings with relevant organizations;
Coordinate with stakeholders to ensure standardization of M&E measures.
Qualifications and skills**
Master´s degree in economics, statistics, project management, international development, , evaluation research or any other clearly relevant academic qualifications;;
Experience in field data collection, statistical analysis, quantitative and qualitative research, and dissemination of results;
Experience in survey design , research tool development and manipulation, and monitoring;
Strong knowledge of computer software applications, such as SPSS, STATA, SAS etc.;
Good knowledge of the overseas countries and territories of the EU and the United Kingdom;
Sound knowledge of EU project cycle management methodologies;
Excellent report writing, analytical and oral presentation skills;
Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication and mediation skills;
Fluent English and French (speaking and writing) is essential;
Good command of French (speaking and writing) will be a major asset; Dutch will also be an asset.
General and specific professional experience*
At least 7 years of experience in creating and leading the implementation of M&E systems for an international NGO or international institution, or similar entity;**
5 years of field experience in regional or national programme implementation;**
Experience in the Caribbean, Indian Ocean,/and/or the Pacific region would be a major asset;**
Knowledge of development related initiatives concerning Climate Change Resilience, Low Carbon and Energy Efficient Economy, would be a major asset. **
2. PROJECT PRESENTATION
In accordance with the commitments of the European Union with its Overseas Countries and Territories, and those of the United Kingdom, and in particular the Overseas Association Decision (OAD) and the 2015-2020 strategy of the Overseas Countries and Territories Association (OCTA), the Thematic Programme is dedicated to the 25 European and British Overseas Countries and Territories (OCTs). The Programme aims to contribute to the sustainable economic, social and environmental development of these countries and territories. Two specific objectives are targeted, namely:
(i) strengthening the resilience of European and British OCTs to climate change and the COVID-19 health crisis;
(ii) Supporting their transition towards a low-carbon energy economy. This 17.8 million euro program is implemented by Expertise France (EF) and will last 68 months.
The main beneficiaries are the 25 European and British OCTs, including their governments, national, regional and local authorities, the private sector, civil society actors and citizens. The concerned OCTs include the following:
– Aruba, Bonaire, Curação, Saba, Sint Eustatius, Sint Maarten
– Anguilla, Bermuda, British Antarctic Territory, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Montserrat, Pitcairn, South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands, St Helena, Ascension Island, Tristan da Cunha, Turks and Caicos Islands
– French Polynesia, French Southern and Antarctic Territories, New Caledonia and Dependencies, Wallis and Futuna Islands, Saint Barthélemy and Saint Pierre and Miquelon
– and Greenland.
The Programme team is currently in the “consultation phase”: and will be exchanging systematically and regularly with the Programme beneficiaries in order to identify and better define precise needs and refine the Programme strategy. Further Programme team member recruitment is likewise ongoing. One of the key members the Programme is looking to recruit is a MEAL Expert. This individual will be recruited for the duration as that of the Programme.
How to apply
The applicant must provide the following documents
A CV with at least three reference contacts with experience relevant to the post
A cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest for this position.
Job Ref.: « Expert MEAL – PTOM »
Application deadline: 15th October 2021
Desired start date: November 2021
Applications will be analysed as they are received. Expertise France reserves the right to select a candidate before the application deadline. If you do not receive notification by 30th October, you may consider your application unsuccessful.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.