Heartland Alliance International
Position: MHPSS Coordinator– Pathways Home: Livelihood and MHPSS – for Returnees (1 position).
Location: Baghdad, with frequent travel to Anbar, Dhi Qar, Basra, Najaf, Karbala and KRI- Iraq.
Reports To: Senior MMHPSS Technical Coordinator / Project Manager.
Project: Pathways Home: Livelihood and MHPSS Support for Returnees
About You: A motivated mid-career mental health professional looking to work alongside an inspiring, dynamic team of leading human rights workers. The candidate will have exceptional clinical service provision skills and embrace a collaborative, team approach to the work they do. This person has experience living and working in challenging operating environments and is eager to apply that experience working on innovative human rights projects that support survivors of torture, their families, as well as families of those who have been disappeared.
About Heartland Alliance International: Heartland Alliance International’s (HAI) mission is to secure the rights and well-being of marginalized people and communities. HAI envisions a world in which those whose rights have been violated are safe and empowered to actively engage in their communities and be at the forefront of social change. In Iraq, HAI provides holistic services focusing on mental health and psychosocial support, legal aid, violence prevention, and social cohesion to diverse vulnerable populations.
Pathways Home: Livelihood and MHPSS Support for Returnees in Baghdad, Anbar, Dhi Qar, Basra, Najaf, and Karbala is a one-year project funded by GIZ. The project goal is increase livelihood support, comprehensive mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) services, and legal services for Iraqis who have returned from the European Union, specifically Germany, as well as Iraqi IDPs and host community members. The project consists of three domains of activities: (1) Livelihood support; (2) Case management and MHPSS support; (3) Legal support. Project activities will be implemented in the mentioned governorates. Mobile support may also extend to other governorates and as referred by the donor.
Role of the MHPSS Coordinator:
Under the direct management of the Project Manager, with technical supervision by the Senior MHPSS Technical Coordinator and Iraq MHPSS Director, the MHPSS Coordinator will provide technical oversight and leadership to support HAI’s MHPSS services for participants in the area of coverage. The MHPSS Coordinator will develop guidance and protocols, identify capacity-building needs, develop and deliver tailored trainings, and provide technical supervision to service providers to ensure high quality standards of service delivery. The MHPSS Coordinator will be based in Baghdad with frequent travel to Anbar, Dhi Qar, Basra, Najaf, Karbala and KRI when needed.
- Technical and Clinical essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- The MHPSS coordinator will oversee the integrated MHPSS programming conducted at the Federal Iraq.
Provide close technical support and clinical supervision (individual and group) to the MHPSS and case management service delivery team on regular basis, through both remote and in-person modalities.
- Collaborate closely with the Senior MHPSS Technical Coordinator and Iraq MHPSS Director to ensure that MHPSS components of the program are delivered with a high quality standard and in line with relevant international best practices and principles of trauma-informed care.
- S/he will ensure the technical and clinical quality of MHPSS care program provided with the guidance of the Senior MHPSS Technical Coordinator.
- Coach and support MHPSS officers in planning and implementation of MHPSS activities.
- In coordination with the Senior MHPSS Technical Coordinator and Iraq MHPSS Director develop guidance, tools, case studies, models, and other materials related to MHPSS programming for participants to promote staff capacity-building and service quality.
- Management of the MHPSS case tracker, and ensure MHPSS data is up to date.
- Management of participants’ files, to ensure that they comply with confidentiality and data protection standards during supervision sessions and file audits on regular basis.
- Provide high quality training and supervision and on job coaching to the MHPSS service delivery team, and other partners in identified topics associated with MHPSS and case management, and integration of MHPSS into livelihoods and legal support.
- Support and coordinate the mapping of resources and referral options useful to respond to MHPSS needs at different levels (community, primary, secondary and tertiary level) and in different communities.
- Regularly monitor psychosocial needs of targeted populations and ensure technical appropriateness of the response.
- Provide recommendations, suggest adjustments, and make improvements to the project with a specific attention to community’s resilience mechanisms.
- Through strong planning and monitoring, identify potential obstacles to programmatic success in a timely fashion, and implement corrective actions as needed.
- In collaboration with the incollaboration with the Senior MHPSS Technical Coordinator and Iraq MHPSS Director, develop and implement staff support programming to prevent burnout and secondary trauma and support wellbeing among staff.
- Monitoring and evaluation (M&E)
- Collaborate closely with project team and M&E staff to continuously assess status of MHPSS service implementation against project work plan and implement appropriate steps to ensure project is on track in meeting deliverables.
- Contribute to set-up and implementation of the technical monitoring and evaluation tools for MHPSS components of the project’s activities.
- Ensure M&E activities and reporting meet HAI’s standards, and are completed on schedule.
- Support the technical analysis of the data collected through the project.
- Contribute to finalizing program monthly, quarterly, and annual project reports in English.
- Communication and representation
- Foster effective communication and teamwork among HAI service providers and with partner organization staff.
- Represent HAI in professional and public settings, including to NGO partners, government officials, funding sources, coordination groups, beneficiaries, and at conferences, meetings, MHPSS working groups and other outreach opportunities
- Other duties; this Job Description is flexible to respond to additional tasks or changes as identified by the direct line manager.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
- University degree in psychology, counseling, mental health, social work, or similar field, Master’s degree is preferred; Bachelor’s degree in above field is required.
- 5+ years of experience providing services as a psychologist, MHPSS service provider, or in similar field.
- 3+ years of experience providing technical oversight to MHPSS and case management programming in humanitarian settings.
- Demonstrated experience providing training, clinical supervision, and monitoring to MHPSS service providers, including using remote modalities.
- Experience in providing MHPSS remote services and supervising remote MHPSS services.
- Familiarity with livelihoods and legal support programming preferred.
- Strong commitment to human rights and gender equality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including ability to gain trust and build relationships; strong diplomatic, negotiation, and persuasion skills; ability to proactively problem-solve.
- Comfort working on a team, as well as independently.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and humanitarian values.
- Knowledge and understanding of Monitoring and Evaluation concepts.
- Experience with Windows platform, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
- Proven ability to calmly, professionally, and successfully manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments.
Language: Arabic and English languages are required for this position.
Location: Heartland Alliance International’s Iraq program is headquartered in Sulaymaniyah, a city of nearly one million people in northern Iraq’s Kurdistan Region. This position will be based in Baghdad, and will require site visits to Anbar, Dhi Qar, Basra, Najaf, Karbala and KRI as needed.
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter (1 page maximum) explaining your interest and how your experience meets the qualifications required and a CV, to
indicating the vacancy job title in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear back from us within 2 weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Heartland Alliance makes all hiring and employment decisions without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, sexual identity, immigrant status, political affiliation or belief, ex-offender status (depending on the offense and position to be filled), unfavorable military discharge, membership in an organization whose primary purpose is the protection of civil rights or improvement of living conditions and human relations, or HIV infection, in accord with the Organization’s AIDS Policy Statement of September, 1987. Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation should contact the Human Resources and Administration Office at (312) 660-1431.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.