American Museum Of Natural History
Museum Attendant Guard, Security & Safety
The American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) in New York City is one of the premier Science, research, and cultural institutions in the country. The AMNH is renowned for its exhibitions and scientific collections, which serve as a field guide to the entire planet and present a panorama of the world’s cultures. The AMNH seeks Museum Attendant Guards to join their Security and Safety team.
Security Guard duties may include the following:
- Protection of exhibits and Museum property, patrolling and guarding hall or halls, maintaining proper temperatures during the heating season as trained.
- Provide the highest level of customer service during interactions with all visitors. Advise public of location of other exhibit halls, restrooms, etc. Answer questions where possible and referring others when appropriate.
- Provide security team support in the auditorium or other meeting areas for various types of programs.
- Report existence of suspicious persons and monitor until relieved.
- Monitor visitor behavior and encourage compliance with safety measures and guidance among visitors of all ages, either in organized groups or as individuals.
- Report any damage to exhibits, unsafe conditions, loose floor tiles, torn window shades, etc., also any unusual occurrences such as minor accidents, and other cases requiring additional help or authority.
- Escalate any report of lost children or other persons in need and assist in relevant search efforts as directed.
- Respond to exhibit case or fire alarms and report conditions as appropriate.
- Perform fire watch duties as directed and assist in emergency evacuation of visitors and staff when required.
- When assigned to night shifts, perform safety and hazard patrols throughout public and all non-public areas.
It is possible, although rare, that Security Museum Attendant Guards may be assigned to complete the job duties of Museum Attendant Guards in Custodial Services.
- Must possess and maintain valid Security Guard Registration from New York State.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring physical strength and high manual dexterity sufficient for duties above. This includes the ability to remain on feet for extended periods of time, stoop, kneel, crouch, climb stairs, balance, walk, and run; must be able to exert up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally or negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects or persons.
- Effective written and oral communications skills.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Foreign language skills.
- Previous security guard experience.
- Previous customer service experience.
- FDNY Certificate of Fitness, F-03.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: careers.amnh.org
The American Museum of Natural History is one of the world’s preeminent scientific and cultural institutions. Since its founding in 1869, the Museum has advanced its global mission to discover, interpret and disseminate information about human cultures, the natural world and the universe through a wide-ranging program of scientific research, education and exhibition. The Museum is renowned for its exhibitions and scientific collections, which serve as a field guide to the entire planet and present a panorama of the world’s cultures.
The American Museum of Natural History is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The Museum does not discriminate with respect to employment, or admission or access to Museum facilities, programs or activities on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, marital status, partnership status, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, pregnancy, alienage or citizenship status, current or former participation in the uniformed services, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin, or on account of any other basis prohibited by applicable City, State, or Federal law.
If special accommodations are needed in applying for a position, please call the Office of Human Resources.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.