UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
Purpose of Activity/Assignment:
UNICEF Bangladesh has adopted inclusive approach in the new country programme (2022 – 2026) to support the overall wellbeing of children and adolescents through integrated programme interventions. There is an emerging convergence of national and sub-national political will and determination at the highest levels to keep children free from the constraints of harmful practices and negative social norms. In this regard, UNICEF has been supporting Government of Bangladesh (GoB) through different Ministries and Departments to coordinate the behavioural change communication (SBCC) interventions for a range of audiences through evidence generation, capacity development community engagement and multimedia campaign. As the integral part of these approaches, capacity development and engagement of religious leaders at the community level considered as the effective programmatic intervention to facilitate the ending of harmful child care related norms and practices.
It is also important to mention here that, under the leadership of Islamic total 500,000 Imams, religious leaders and mosque-based mass education teachers of 238,000 registered mosques engaged nationwide in message dissemination on COVID prevention and Vaccination. Islamic Foundation also provided support to DGHS by issuing different directives and guidelines according to the strategic need of and Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. The contribution of Islamic Foundation and Ministry of Religious Affairs in COVID prevention/Vaccine Communication has given extra milage to reach the community people nationwide repeatedly and in a organized manner, it has been acknowledged/valued by the Prime Minister’s Office, MoHFW and also development partners. Their support is highly required at least up to 31st December 2022 in COVID prevention and vaccination.
How can you make a difference?
Purpose of Assignment: The key purposes of this assignment are the following:
- To provide technical and operational support to IF to enhance the capacity of the IF team as per joint work plan in collaboration with UNICEF Dhaka office, CxB C4D team and other field offices.
- To provide technical and operational support to IF for the implementation of interventions community engagement intervention and reporting as per joint work plan in collaboration with UNICEF Dhaka office, CxB C4D team and other field offices and for the revision of SBCC materials and documents.
- Provide technical support to IF and C4D Cox’s Bazar team for strategic involvement of Imams/religious leaders in host and Rohingya communities to promote key lifesaving behaviours through community engagement and social mobilization.
- To provide technical and operational support to the C4D Section to liaise with Ministry of Religious affairs (MoRA) to expand the programme with other faith-based organizations.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Develop an inception report on how the key assignments will be completed and a detailed action plan with time frame and deliverables of 11 months.
- Revise/update the SBC training module, community engagement guideline as per the UNICEF Community Engagement Minimum standard and monitoring framework (i.e. integrate emerging priorities)
- Provide technical support to Islamic Foundation (Dhaka and CxB team) for the development of cross sectoral/integrated SBCC package including Rohingya and host communities in CxB.
- Facilitate to implement Imam data base software and data of Imams in 16 districts are available.
- Provide technical support to Islamic Foundation for timely conduction of cascade training for 10,000 Imams and 10,000 pre-primary and mass education teachers including female teachers in 8 districts in promotion of selected behaviours including violence again children.
- Provide technical and operational support to Islamic Foundation for implementation of community engagement and social mobilization activities in 16 districts as per the signed workplan.
- Prepare a concept note and SBCC action plan on engagement of religious leaders to advocate on prevention of Violence Against Children (VAC) issues including Child Marriage and CwD. The note should include a checklist of engagement of religious leaders to ensure quality and monitoring the progress.
- Coordination with MoRA to expand partnership to foster SBC on priorities issues of children and adolescent protection including ECM, VAC and CwD
- Provide operational support to Islamic Foundation (Dhaka and Cox’s Bazar Office) for capacity enhancement, planning, implementation and monitoring of SBCC interventions in CxB.
- Provide technical support to IF team (Dhaka and Cox’s Bazar Office) for the implementation of community engagement and social mobilization activities as per the signed workplan in CxB.
- Provide technical and operational support to extend the SBC programmes with other faith-based agencies.
- Provide technical support to IF team (Dhaka and Cox’s Bazar Office)) for the documentation of good practices, case studies and lessons learned.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in Social or Behavioural Science/ Public Health/ Communication.
*A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree.
- A minimum of [5 years] of relevant professional experience in strategic communication planning and implementation for behavioural and social change interventions and research.
- Technical knowledge and experience of working experience with religious leaders in social development will be an added advantage.
- Track record of working with UN, Government organisations, religious ministry and in urban will be an added advantage.
- Developing country work experience and/or familiarity with emergency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Good skills in both oral and written in English and Bangla with strong interpersonal and presentation skills.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
The selected candidate is solely responsible to ensure that the visa (applicable) and health insurance required to perform the duties of the contract are valid for the entire period of the contract. The candidate may also be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid).
To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify on the application form/indicate in your cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.