Job Title: National Protection officer (NPO)
Location: Sinjar, Ninawa, Iraq
Administrative Line Manager: Team Leader
Nonviolent Peaceforce (NP) is a dynamic, international non-governmental organization. We work to reduce violence and protect civilians in countries affected by violent conflict and its aftermath through the implementation of unarmed civilian protection programming, and build peace side-by-side with communities. NP implements programming through the deployment of civilian protection teams to the field and is continuing to scale up to meet the growing needs in the communities we serve. Programming is founded on unarmed civilian protection and is thematically focused on protection in displacement, child protection, gender-based violence protection, and inter-communal violence reduction.
NP is seeking motivated, creative, and conscientious National Protection Officers to protect civilians using unarmed strategies. They must understand and embody NP’s principle of non-partisanship.
The post is based in Sinjar, Ninawa Governorate.
1. Commitment to NP Principles
- Know and understand the NP mandate, principles and values, and commit to upholding and advocating for them both inside and outside of working hours
- Serve as a community role model for peaceful co-existence and nonviolence, and maintain a positive image of the organisation in the community at all times
- Be available for emergencies which may be outside of scheduled hours
2. Project Implementation
- Protective presence, accompaniment and other interventions
- Be present in situations where civilians are under threat of violence with the objective of preventing violence
- Physically accompany civilians undertaking journeys during which they may be at risk
- Be creative in designing strategies with the community for preventing violence against civilians and building peace
- Manage cases of community members who are vulnerable or under threat, including working with other service providers and managing a follow-up process.
- Information gathering and contextual analysis
- Assist with information gathering to inform project planning
- Engage with all stakeholders (local community leaders, government authorities, police, army, non-state armed groups, and NGOs) to identify on-going and potential issues in the community that may trigger violence.
- Maintain confidentiality of information gathered
- Community engagement
- Facilitate meetings with community members and stakeholders
- Assist the community in assessing their security situation and offer support within the NP mandate
- Assist with the development of new training curriculums
- Co-facilitate trainings and workshops
3. Administration & Operations
- Report to the team leader the details of completed activities
- Identify potential problems and lessons learned. Ability to assess the effectiveness of activities and suggest improvements
- Contribute to security assessments
- Ensure all project work is consistent with agreed safety and security policies and procedures
- Assist with procurement of supplies or other logistical matters when delegated by the Team Leader
- Handle operational funds in compliance with financial procedures; account for team cash managed by finance focal person
- Perform any other work-related duties that may be assigned by the Team Leader
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
Education, Knowledge and Experience
- Strong commitment to the safety and security of civilians.
- Good knowledge and understanding of the conflict context in Iraq, and in the area of duty
- Strong ability to engage and build relationships between NP and armed actors, IDPs, government officials, NGOs , service providers, etc. in a nonpartisan manner
- Experience working with a civil society organization, NGOs, government or similar experience is an advantage but not a requirement
- Written and spoken English is an advantage but not a requirement
- A university degree or diploma is an advantage but not a requirement
· Ability to manage information with confidentiality
· Ability to set priorities, creatively solve problems and analyse information
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
· Proven ability to build relationships
· Genuine commitment and interest in living and working at the community level
· Flexibility and reliability
· Ability to interact confidently with, and present information effectively to, colleagues and external contacts
· Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite desirable (Excel ability highly desirable)
- This position is open to nationals of Iraq only
- Local relationships and knowledge of Sinjar District are required
HOW TO APPLY
- Candidates meeting the above requirements are requested to submit a CV (max. 2 pages) and cover letter (max. 1 page) detailing your experience and how you qualify for the role. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The closing date for applications is 19th May 2022.
- Candidates may be selected before the closing date, apply early
- Only nationals will be considered, for the Candidates from Sinjar are highly desired.
Nonviolent Peaceforce is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance in its staff at all levels. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position. However, all qualified applicants regardless of their gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, or age, will be considered for this opportunity.
Nonviolent Peaceforce acknowledges the duty of care to safeguard and promote the welfare of employees, contractors, volunteers, interns, beneficiaries, and other stakeholders and is committed to ensuring safeguarding practice reflects statutory responsibilities, government guidance and complies with best practice in the Humanitarian and Development sector.
PLEASE BEWARE OF FRAUDULENT JOB OFFERS. NONVIOLENT PEACEFORCE DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE OR ASK FOR FINANCIAL TRANSACTIONS AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (INCLUDING APPLICATION, INTERVIEW, MEETING, TRAVELING, PROCESSING TRAINING, ETC). NONVIOLENT PEACEFORCE WILL NOT REQUEST INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Apply for this job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.