One Acre Fund is a nonprofit organization that supplies smallholder farmers in East Africa with asset-based financing and agriculture training services to reduce hunger and poverty. Headquartered in Bungoma, Kenya, the organization works with farmers in rural villages throughout Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania and recently Malawi.
Location: Minna, Niger
About the Role
- One Acre Fund Nigeria is expanding the way that it serves farmers, providing them with multiple access points, payment options, and training channels, with the end vision to improve customer experience and increase the number of farmers we serve. We are looking for someone to lead the development of our rural retail business.
- As the Rural Retail Associate, you will report to the Systems Lead. You will support departments in designing, piloting, evaluating, and scaling up rural retail high-level projects aimed at improving access to markets, cash crops for farmers.
- You will design the strategy of rural retail outlets and develop services to sustainably improve our impact per farmer, while building a team, together with expertise and capabilities.
- You will gather evidence and develop a multi-year roadmap detailing the high-level strategy, interventions to target, input sales, and customer service strategy. Set growth and sales strategy and targets
- Create recommendations on best bets and possible pathways, and set up feedback loops with country leadership and other internal important partners to ensure support
- Design and conduct pilots to try out new concepts, and set up evaluation and learning to improve rural retail activities
- Lead retail distribution projects
- You will conduct background studies, operational and financial estimates and create an impact model for the proposed interventions.
- Lead the annual budgeting process and manage financial performance;
Relationship / Leadership:
- Manage relationships with important partners to the success of rural retail projects.
- Create strategy plans in collaboration with other departments, and gather feedback and build support from partners and field team members at all stages of the process
- Support leaders across One Acre Fund in preparing for rural retail projects and high-level activities
- Coordinate with partners and buyers, such as the largest mobile money service provider in Nigeria, to ensure farmers are provided with the best service and opportunities
- You will initiate and manage collaborative projects with external partners, which includes drafting MoUs, periodic reporting, and ensuring OAF policies are followed in all communication and results sharing
- You may directly or indirectly manage staff and partners involved in projects and the activities of the field staff involved in the market access projects.
Career Growth and Development:
- We have a culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people.
- You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance.
- We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals.
- You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agribusiness Management, Business Administration, Environmental Economics, or any related field.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience in a business setting involving sourcing, transformation, and sales of agricultural produce.
- Excellent data fluency.
- Experience setting strategic direction.
- Experience managing teams to success.
- Knowledge of agricultural products and practices.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Experience with the design of products targeting smallholder farmers, including surveys and focus groups.
- As soon as possible.
- This role is only open to citizens or permanent residents of Nigeria.
Method of Application
- Women are encouraged to apply.
- We are committed to gender equity in our staff operations, representation, and experience. In 2020, women made up 40% of our clients and 44% of our total staff. We have and will continue to intentionally grow these numbers.
- We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here ([email protected]),but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
Interested and qualified? Go to One Acre Fund on oneacrefund.org to apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.