Background Information – Myanmar
Myanmar is one of UNOPS leading offices in Asia, acting as fund manager for three of the largest development programmes in the country, namely the Access to Health Fund, the Livelihood and Food Security Fund (LIFT) and the Joint Peace Fund (JPF). In addition, UNOPS Myanmar is Principal Recipient for the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria in Myanmar and Cambodia, and for the Global Fund¹s Regional Artemisinin-resistance Initiative targeting drug resistant malaria in the Greater Mekong sub-region. UNOPS provides procurement, infrastructure and project management services to a wide range of organizations in the country, including the Government of Myanmar, international development partners, other UN agencies, NGOs and INGOs. UNOPS Myanmar plays a critical role in ensuring that the quality of services provided to its partners meets stringent requirements of speed, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
Background Information – Job-specific
The Partnerships Assistant (Intern) will work with the Programme, Communications and Partnerships Unit, UNOPS Myanmar. The role will focus primarily on support to business development, project development and managing small- and medium-scale projects and related research and analysis. These projects are varied, covering a range of development sectors. The work of the unit is diverse and requires a significant level of multitasking. The intern will be required to deliver high quality products to tight deadlines. Additionally, the Partnerships Assistant (Intern) will also closely coordinate with other programmes, infrastructure and procurement units.
The Partnerships Assistant (Intern) shall be responsible for performing the following duties:
- Contribute to identifying new business development opportunities for UNOPS Myanmar, through research and analysis of trends in key sectors, attendance at inter-agency meetings as assigned, assessments of stakeholders’ needs and of the potential of relevant UNOPS services in Myanmar.
- Support the planning, design and implementation of business development initiatives of UNOPS Myanmar in a timely manner, especially in key areas of infrastructure, procurement and project management.
Assist in the production of project proposals, concept notes, associated project documents and prepare legal documents related to projects, in cooperation with UNOPS colleagues and partners
Provide operational, programmatic and administrative support of on-going small and medium scale projects, ensuring progress is made according to agreed timelines, including delivery of the required outputs to partners.
- Coordinate inputs and draft a range of high-quality materials and reports on projects and services for donors, UN agencies and UNOPS management. Ensure that the materials comply with UNOPS format and style.
- Assist in the preparation of project budgets and support budget negotiations in cooperation with technical specialists and in accordance with UNOPS policies.
- Prepare and participate in online meetings, workshops and events as required. Provide administrative and technical support at such platforms.
- Prepare internal training and team-building initiatives to bring together programmes and units of the UNOPS Myanmar portfolio for knowledge sharing and business improvement.
- Perform other duties as required, including secretarial and note-taking duties
The intern is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
The intern will be required to take Basic and Advanced Security in the Field courses. S/he will take the online UN and UNOPS induction courses. The intern will participate in the UNOPS Myanmar Induction Training that comprehensively covers all aspects of UNOPS work in Myanmar. S/he will have access to a large offering of online training on the comprehensive UNOPS intranet and opportunities to communicate with UNOPS HQ, Regional Office, and other country offices.
The duties are Home-based. Field missions are not foreseen.
Terms and Conditions
- UNOPS Myanmar will provide the intern a monthly stipend from UNOPS, if they do not receive funds from other institutions.
- The internship comes with no expectations of future employment with UNOPS as a direct result of the internship.
- The internship is offered for a minimum of 6 months. Candidates who are unable to commit to 6 months are requested to not apply.
- Either currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s in project/programme management, social/political sciences, engineering/infrastructure, business/finance or other relevant field, or have graduated within the past 3 years.
- PRINCE2 (Foundation) certification would be an asset.
- Experience using in Google Suite in particular Excel and Google Slide/ Google PowerPoint are required.
- Ability to draft a range of documents is required.
- 1 year experience in research, project management, monitoring, partnerships or business development-related work in development or humanitarian aid is desired.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles. Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role). Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries. Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements. Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving. Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration – Internship
Contract type: Internship
Contract level: N/A
Contract duration: 6 months
– This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
– Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
All applications must be made on UNOPS Global Personnel Recruitment System (GPRS). https://gprs.unops.org/pages/viewvacancy/VAListing.aspx
In addition, please attach the following documents with the application:
- CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Cover Letter (maximum 1 page)
- Writing sample (maximum 4 pages)
- Recommendation letter from the university/institution, as desirable
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.