Central commission for the navigation on the Rhine
The Central Commission for the Navigation of the Rhine (CCNR) is an international organisation that plays a key role in the navigation of the Rhine. Its main objectives are to ensure good navigation conditions on the Rhine and to promote shipping that is safe and respectful of the environment on the waterways. It is active in technical, legal, economic, social and environmental domains. Many of the CCNR’s activities now go beyond the Rhine itself and encompass European inland navigation in the broadest sense.
The CCNR is composed of five Member States (Germany, Belgium, France, the Netherlands and Switzerland) and works more and more closely with the European Commission, as well as with other river commissions and international organisations, along with Observer States and organisations that represent the sector.
The CCNR is seeking to recruit for its Secretariat located in Strasbourg and made up of an international team of 35 persons, a Policy officer responsible to support work linked to the areas of inland navigation market and fleet in the framework of a European project entitled PLATINA3 which is financed by the EU Horizon2020 programme. Indeed, CCNR is member of an international consortium in charge of the Platina3 project (www.platina3.eu)
Situated in the Rhineland in a European and international environment, the Policy officer will support the organisation in the work linked to the market and fleet issues. Under the direct supervision of the administrators responsible for these areas, the Policy officer will:
- Mainly draft analyses and thematic studies (in accordance with the organisation’s standards)
- Perform desk study of research reports, scientific articles and legal texts, analyse and summarize the main conclusions
- Contribute to and coordinate other analyses and thematic studies
- Organise and report on meetings with experts (sector, Member States, Secretariat)
- Treat proactive the e-mails and requests from PLATINA3 partners where relevant
- Collect and process information and data (quantitative and qualitative)
- Support the organisation in events aiming at collecting information from experts on a given theme
- Support the work of the administrators in the related fields
- Participate in meetings of the Platina3 projects, represent the interests of the CCNR and provide feedback to the administrator
He/she will take action in the following two areas of activity and more specifically in the themes outlined below:
In the context of the PLATINA3 tasks relating to the “market”
- In the context of a report relating to new technological innovations, logistics and marketing/communication in favour of modal shift to IWT and decarbonisation:
- Summarising an existing report relating to new markets in inland navigation and integrate the findings in the overall report
- Performing research, interviews and translating the findings in a comprehensive manner in the overall report
- Collecting inputs from other PLATINA3 partners and integrate them in the final report.
- In the context of a report on the economic and financial obstacles to the modal shift and integration of inland navigation in logistic chains: support with the organisation of a workshop, collecting input from relevant CCNR Committees
In the context of the PLATINA3 tasks relating to the “fleet”
- Evaluation of regulatory needs to allow automation of inland navigation (collect information, draft proposals, report, organize meetings, etc)
- Evaluation of regulatory needs to ease the energy transition and the use of alternative fuels by the inland vessels A (collect information, draft proposals, report, organize meetings, etc)
To a lesser extent (finalisation of the report): elaboration of an implementation plan to finance energy transition of the European fleet of inland navigation, taking into account studies realised by the CCNR and its Member StatesOn an ad hoc basis, he/she may also be required to carry out the tasks described above on behalf of the administrator in charge of infrastructure issues and on subjects that cut across the three themes of fleets, market and infrastructure, such as taxonomy.
Training and competencies
- Master’s degree (MSc) in public policies, transport, logistics or naval engineering, or equivalent
- A first experience in consultancy practice or public sector, is desirable
- Excellent command of English (written and oral), French, German or Dutch would be a plus
- Interest in the theme of energy transition and European policies
- Capacity for analysis and synthesis,
- Conciseness and high accuracy in writing(interdisciplinary)
- Ability to communicate proactively with relevant staff of the Secretariat and PLATINA3 partners
- Ability to understand complex topics and summarising them
- Coordination and follow-up of projects in a multicultural environment
- Knowledge of international organisations and European projects
- Ability to work autonomously as well as in a collaborative mode, and transversely
- High standards and rigour in terms of quality of work, team spirit, motivation
- Diplomacy, Neutrality and loyalty towards the organisation
Conditions and aptitudes
National of a CCNR Member State (Germany, Belgium, France, the Netherlands and Switzerland).
The CCNR Secretariat is reputed for its competences and technical expertise, its flexibility and its high-quality work and service culture. The expectations of the Project officer are high, especially in terms of writing skills.
What the CCNR offers
A fixed-term contract of 15 months. The position is based in Strasbourg at the Palais du Rhin. Occasional travel to Member States, or elsewhere in Europe, is foreseen.
The Policy officer shall carry out his/her duties under the responsibility of the Chief Engineer and under the direct supervision of the Administrators in charge of the relevant areas of activity. Monthly salary (after tax) shall depend on the level of experience and will be negotiated with the organisation.
Candidates are invited to send their application (CV and cover letter) by email, before 25 November 2021, to the CCNR Secretariat, for the attention of the Head of Human Resources at: [email protected]
Do not forget to mention that you found this job ad on the UNJOBVACANCIES Jobsite!
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.