Posting Title: LIAISON OFFICER, P4 (Temporary Job Opening)
Job Code Title: LIAISON OFFICER
Department/Office: United Nations Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan
Duty Station: EL GENEINA
Posting Period: 10 May 2022 – 17 May 2022
Job Opening Number: 22-Political Affairs-UNITAMS-180903-J-El Geneima (M)
Staffing Exercise N/A
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the United Nations Integrated Transition Assistance Mission in Sudan (UNITAMS).
The United Nations Security Council adopted resolution 2524 (2020) and 2579 (2021) authorizing the mandate of UNITAMS which is to assist the political transition, progress towards democratic governance, in the protection and promotion of human rights, and sustainable peace; support peace processes and implementation of future peace agreements; assist peacebuilding, civilian protection and rule of law, in particular in Darfur; and support the mobilisation of economic and development assistance and coordination of humanitarian assistance.
This position is based in El Geneina which is classified as “E” hardship duty station and as non-family. The incumbent will report to the Head of Office, Political Affairs, El Fasher Regional Office.
Within delegated authority, the Liaison Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
Liaison, Outreach, Coordination and Communication
• Represents the mission at the local level as required with local authorities, armed movements, civil society, women’s movements, armed movements, and other stakeholders and particularly in relation to matters relating to the political transition.
• Ensures that the political and socio-economic concerns and the perceptions of the local population are effectively communicated to the Mission, as well as other actors where appropriate, particularly as it relates to the political transition.
• Engage with a range of Sudanese stakeholders, including local authorities, civil society, women’s groups, armed movements, native administration representatives, religious leaders and others on matters relating to the political transition.
• Provides support to the work of the substantive sections of the mission, particularly the Office of Support to the Political Transition and related work; Contributes to a shared understanding of the Mission environment, mandate and operations amongst Mission actors at the local level to support consistency and coherence of approach. Fosters effective working relations with the United Nations Country Teams (UNCT).
Monitoring, analysis and reporting
• Monitors, analyses and reports on emerging political developments and politically-related, socio-economic developments and advises appropriately; identifies initiatives which can help reduce and prevent conflict and promote peace-making.
• Contributes to overall mission monitoring and planning as required on political developments.
• Interacts closely in preparing summary and analytical documents, including political updates, background notes, talking points, options’ papers, code cables and inputs for the reports of the Secretary-General and other sensitive and confidential official communications to UNHQ.
• Supports dialogue between communities in the area of responsibility by convening structured meetings and similar activities and supporting Sudanese led initiatives aimed at preventing or reducing conflict and promoting peace and stability
• Promotes and protects the interest of excluded and/or threatened groups through engagement with and advocacy in full respect of humanitarian and international law.
• Supports local authorities, civil society groups, tribal leaders, women’s organizations, youth groups, political parties, and/or institutions at the local level that are working to promote a culture of peace and reconciliation and in support of an inclusive political transition
Professionalism: Ability to evaluate political situations and challenges and to build effective relations with local stakeholders in order to identify appropriate solutions; Proven analytical skills; Takes initiative to advance potential solutions to problems in coordination with colleagues; experience in helping resolve conflicts at a local level; familiarity with conflict resolution and dialogue processes; Proven ability to effectively represent the mission with authorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards. Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Judgement/decision making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly. Gathers relevant information before making a decision. Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them. Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization. Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information. Checks assumptions against facts. Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision. Makes tough decisions when necessary.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in social sciences, political science, international relations, public administration, law, economics, or related area. A first level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Professional training in the areas of planning, monitoring and evaluation, facilitation, or coordination is desirable.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in liaison-related work, political science, political affairs, international relations, law, mediation, conflict resolution, or related area is required.
A minimum of two years (2) of working with local officials, civil society, tribal leaders, political parties and other stakeholders in or on country(ies) in conflict or post-conflict situation is required;
A minimum of three years (3) experience in political outreach and analysis, advising and reporting is required.
A minimum of two (2) years of experience in supporting or facilitating structured dialogue events between different parties and reconciliation activities and processes, is desirable.
Experience working in Africa and/or the Middle East in a conflict or post-conflict setting is desirable.
Experience drafting analytical reports and papers on sensitive and high profile matters relevant to the Mission’s mandate including briefing notes, background papers, talking points, speeches, and other correspondence for senior UN officials, reports of the Secretary-General, or similar reports is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
Apply for job
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.