On February 1, 2021, the Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean was established in Panamá. From there we work with democratic institutions throughout Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) region to increase the effectiveness and legitimacy of democracy, and its institutions and to support gender equality in politics. Based on a geographic approach, our LAC programme responds to requests of regional, sub-regional and national actors, builds capacity through technical assistance, and comparative applied knowledge resources and provides spaces for dialogue. The LAC programme is a significant partner and an agenda-setter in many countries where it provides expert technical assistance.
The Programme Officer, under the supervision of the Director, Latin America and the Caribbean Region will coordinate the development and management of Regional Office programme activities and projects, at both the regional and national level. The Programme Officer will also ensure that International IDEA´s Strategy, Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and cross-cutting issues are properly reflected in all projects and activities. The Programme Officer will coordinate with the Project Financial Officer to promote a holistic approach in the development of all projects and activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the Director Latin America and the Caribbean Region in all fundraising efforts, including, but not limited to, monitoring of call for proposals and/or new opportunities, communication with possible donors, and development of project proposals;
- Designs and provides technical assistance to political and social organizations;
- Designs and executes seminars, workshops, roundtables, etc. for Regional Office projects and work plans;
- Advises the LAC programme on substantive areas of work that should be pursued so that International IDEA continues to be at the forefront of democracy and electoral issues;
- Creates mechanisms and opportunities that allow for the exchange of information and experiences among the LAC Programme; Identifies issues of common interest and implements activities for democracy promotion;
- Coordinates and organizes efforts and synergies with international organizations for the implementation of activities of common interest;
- Promotes the development of research and publications;
- Promotes dialogue and consensus-building among political actors in LAC;
- Supports the Director Latin America and the Caribbean Region in the research and development of papers and articles.
- Requires in-depth knowledge, excellent skills, and relevant experience in the field of democracy and governance;
- Will contribute significantly to assigned projects all along the project life cycle, i.e. from project design and funding to project assessment; Will lead meetings and discussions, supervise publications and review input from external providers;
- Has contributed to publications on the relevant subject; Is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s core values: Respect, Integrity, and Professionalism.
- Director Latin America and the Caribbean Region.
Education and Experience
- A higher degree in public policy, law, political science, sociology, public administration, international relations, Latin American Studies or other related disciplines;
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience working on issues of democracy and governance, elections, rule of law and/or constitutional reforms, preferably in different types of organizations (national and international);
- Proven track record of resource mobilization, including conceptualization and formulation of successful funding proposals and knowledge of fundraising methods;
- Extensive field experience working in Latin America and the Caribbean;
- Experience in conducting research and producing articles and academic papers;
- Working knowledge of the Theory of Change and its practical applications
- Experience in designing and organizing international seminars and conferences is an advantage.
- Fluency in written and oral English and Spanish is required; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- International Post
- One (1) year fixed-term appointment
- Remuneration – EUR 4 623 per month + benefits
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted no later than 23:59 (CEST) on 11 May 2022.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified of the status of their application via email once the process has been finalized.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
How to apply
Click on the link below to submit an application:
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (unjobvacancies.com) you saw this job posting.